Can PLOP boot the internal SD card?

Started by mbzadegan, August 06, 2016, 11:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbzadegan

Hi,
I have a SD card that contain my custom Linux that could be booted from the USBCardReader right and without any issue BUT I want to boot my SD card from the laptop internal SD card reader and when I inserted it my BIOS did not detected it as bootable device. However I have installed GRUB2 in my HDD and when I started by GRUB2 I run GRUB2 command prompt by clicking [c] then I run [ls] command and I did not see any hd1 or mmcxxxxx device.

How can I boot from my laptop internal SD card reader? Is that PLOP boot manager can useful for me?

Regards.

Elmar

Hello,

use plopkexec. The last test version can be seen as stable. Start plopkexec from grub.

Regards
Elmar

mbzadegan

Quote from: Elmar on August 06, 2016, 14:21:43 PM
Hello,

use plopkexec. The last test version can be seen as stable. Start plopkexec from grub.

Regards
Elmar

Thanks for your reply,
I loaded plopkexec by grub2 but still it could not find my SD card OS when it plugged in the Laptop internal SD reader but when I plugged it with usb-reader, it could find and boot it true!
How can I boot from the internal SD card reader without any usb-reader?
Regards.

Elmar

mbzadegan

Such as before, it still waiting on this below message state:

Waiting for a drive with Linux...

No Linux has been found.

Elmar

Does the internal card reader work when a linux has been booted?

mbzadegan

Elmar

mbzadegan

It's my dmesg about inserting mmc SD card into internal SD card reader:

[  111.411537] mmc0: new high speed SD card at address 0002
[  111.413242] mmcblk0: mmc0:0002 00000 1.86 GiB
[  111.416096]  mmcblk0: p1 p2 p3
[  111.923021] ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
[  111.927045] ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
[  111.927070] SELinux: initialized (dev mmcblk0p1, type iso9660), uses genfs_contexts

Elmar

do you see something similar in the dmesg of plopkexec?

mbzadegan

YES,

mmc0: SDHCI controller on PCI   [0000:04:00.1] using DMA
mmc0: new high speed SD card at address 0002
mmcblk0: mmc:0002 00000 1.87 GiB
mmcblk0: p1 p2 p3
/ #

Elmar

Does plopkexec detect the linux on the sd card when it is in the usb card reader?
You see on the top of plopkexec 1.4-test3, or?

mbzadegan

As I said on Reply#2 it can detected when plugged with usb card reader without any error.
But I want to detect SD without USB card reader.

Elmar

I think I understand whats going wrong.

Try this https://download.plop.at/plopkexec/tmp/plopkexec2
Check that the date in the title is 2016/08/07

EDIT: File removed. Implemented in the latest release.

mbzadegan

Bravo 8) 8)
The new one plopkexec2 detected my internal SD!
Thanks So much.

mbzadegan

Hi,
Is that possible to extend plopkexec to boot other OS (Such as FreeBSD) from SD-Card?
Regards.

Elmar

Hello,

its not possible.

PlopKexec uses kexec to start the kernel. This works only with Linux.

Regards
Elmar

Jhoefs

Hello. This is exactly what I am trying to do.

I have an old pc running windows 7 and recently decided to try working with Linux mint instead of being strong armed into windows 10, reinstalling everything on my computer, etc.

A friend suggested doing the permanent install on the SD card (internal), which makes sense for several reasons, I will have an independent OS and simply access old documents and files from the HD windows has previously run from.

HP laptop. Doesn't boot from SD drive. Sounds like the solution is to install grub2, and then get the updated kexec2 file you shared... Only the link was dead. Had almost given up on this option of using the SD card when I found this thread, so would be stoked if something can work, otherwise will do a persistent USB install and settle for that

Thank you!

Jonathan

Will it be possible for a newbie to pull this off? Will windows still be able to load if I instll grub?

Elmar

Quote from: Jhoefs on August 30, 2016, 19:42:51 PM
....Only the link was dead...

Its dead, because its implemented in the latest release.

Quote from: Jhoefs on August 30, 2016, 19:42:51 PM
... Will windows still be able to load if I instll grub?

When you do it correct, then yes. Just search the web for "grub boot windows" and you will find a lot of tutorials. But there is a difference between Grub (legacy) and Grub2. Search for the one you need.

Regards
Elmar

Jhoefs

Thank you so much for the reply.

I ran the build script (in root) and it didn't work. I tried a couple times, and then I took the pre-built plopkexec kernel and went ahead and put it in the /root/ directory, to try that.

I ran the grub2 updater but it didn't recognize the kernel and add it to the menu. Can you help?

Thank you so much for creating this software btw!

Elmar

Quote from: Jhoefs on September 07, 2016, 01:50:41 AM
I ran the build script (in root) and it didn't work. I tried a couple times, and then I took the pre-built plopkexec kernel and went ahead and put it in the /root/ directory, to try that.

I ran the grub2 updater but it didn't recognize the kernel and add it to the menu. Can you help?

I don't understand exactly what you are doing. Please start a new topic for your specific problem.

Best regards
Elmar