Booting Linux with a USB (without changing BIOS)

Started by throthy, October 30, 2016, 18:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

throthy

HI there,

I would very much appreciate some help.  I've searched high and low online and finally came across Plop. I nearly gave up but hoping Plop will solve my problem.

I have 100 users with a variety of remote laptops and PC's  (not on any network) (users not physically contactable ie I cannot make changes on there physical devices).

Each user to be issued usb with linux .   Most users are not IT savvy so I want the boot up process as simple as possible.

My understanding of Plop is that all a user would need to do is select an option (rather than rearrange boot orders). Is this correct ?
(Ideally I would like the user to plug in the USB, switch on the computer and linux automatically loads )

Would it make it even easier if the windows boot manager was replaced by plop ?  (read than in a forum comment)

Appreciate all advice.

thx

Elmar

Hello,

the Plop Boot Manager cannot help you in this matter. Its not possible for this release to check if there is an USB drive attached and automatically boot it, and alternatively boot the installed OS.

You would need the computers to install the boot manager, so the easiest is, you set the BIOS boot sequence that USB will be booted when a device is connected.

Quote from: throthy on October 30, 2016, 18:49:22 PM
Would it make it even easier if the windows boot manager was replaced by plop ?  (read than in a forum comment)

The plop boot manager cannot replace the windows boot manager.

Best regards
Elmar