plop and logical partitions question

Started by mattrix, January 13, 2017, 04:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattrix

Hi
Thankyou for making plop. Its ability to handle USB/CD is great but I'm having difficulty with logical partitions.
As I understand it, plop recognizes 2 partition tables on a disk.
The one in sector 1, that describes the primary partitions and an extended table that describes L1-L4.

I have tested this layout with freedos and tinycore linux  but both of them could only see the primaries and L1. Neither of them could see L2, L3, L4.

What do I have to do to use all 4 logical partitions?
Which OS can see the 4 logical partitions?

The problem is: plop can boot from L3 but I don't have anything that will put files on L3.

Elmar

Hello,

nowadays, partition programs are creating "cascaded extended partitions" which are not supported by the 5.0.x versions of the plop boot manager. L2, L3 and L4 are not working. Only classic extended/logical partitions are supported. With those is L2, L3 and L4 working.

The new boot manager will not have this limitation.

Best regards
Elmar

mattrix

Hi Elmar,

Thank you for that explanation.

Which classic OS did use flat extended partitions?

Regards,
matt

Elmar

fdisk of MS-DOS (maybe from FreeDOS too)
Windows 95 till maybe Windows 2000
maybe Windows XP too

Best regards
Elmar

mattrix

Hi Elmar,

I retract what I said in my first mail.

I could not get  freedos or tinycore linux to create a flat partition table.
However it appears that they will use a flat partition table if they find one, provided that it doesn't chain to a third partition table.

I was trying to set up a flat table to use with plop, and chaining another table for the OS to append whatever it wanted to the end of the chain. This did not work.

Regards,
matt