Source code of plop bootmanager

Started by walterav, May 05, 2010, 20:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterav

walterav

Quote from: walterav on May 05, 2010, 20:11:27 PM
Is it available? Will it ever be?

Any updates on this matter?
If its your personal decission to keep it closed its fine its your right, if there are any problems because it may infridge 3rd party code or some other problem that will keep it from getting opensource, please let us know.

I'm not a coder at all, but I found a project like this very interresting. Because you have to start with I think a low programming language, probably assembler and when having a succesfull loader, probably months of work. You bridge one of the most important gaps in Operating System interchange ability. Freeing the use of computers from their tightly internal drives tightly intergrated and locked to their OS's. So people will have a lower step of trying a other OS without killing their local OS.

I recently did some tutorials about making you own bootloader, and did some tests on virtual floppies. It's not more than a hello world with keyboard input, but I'd rather see it talk to a multi-card reader usb-device maybe a firewire device. I also took a peek at the usb-source files of the Linux Kernel, which is a lot above my knowledge, but it was just about getting a idea what it will take from scratch to talk to a USB host device and maybe further.

Elmar

Quote from: walterav on May 05, 2010, 20:11:27 PM
Is it available? Will it ever be?

maybe i release it in the future as open source.

Quote from: walterav on May 09, 2010, 13:29:21 PM
If its your personal decission to keep it closed its fine its your right, if there are any problems because it may infridge 3rd party code or some other problem that will keep it from getting opensource, please let us know.

no there are no problems with 3rd party code.

Quote from: walterav on May 09, 2010, 13:29:21 PM
I also took a peek at the usb-source files of the Linux Kernel, which is a lot above my knowledge, but it was just about getting a idea what it will take from scratch to talk to a USB host device and maybe further.

my boot manager is 100% assembler, if you don't understand the basics how the usb hardware works, then you don't understand the source code. for me its no surprise that my boot manager is currently the only one that supports usb boot from uhci, ohci and ehci.

best regards
elmar

walterav

Quote from: Elmar on May 09, 2010, 14:12:09 PM

for me its no surprise that my boot manager is currently the only one that supports usb boot from uhci, ohci and ehci.

best regards
elmar

Eventhough its not opensource its still a great peace of Software! :D

Gerald

Quotemy boot manager is 100% assembler, if you don't understand the basics how the usb hardware works, then you don't understand the source code. for me its no surprise that my boot manager is currently the only one that supports usb boot from uhci, ohci and ehci.

best regards
elmar

Will you release Plop source code (as GPL 2 +, BSD, MIT) one day Elmar?
Do you seriously consider  to do?

mikeb

Quote from: Elmar on May 09, 2010, 14:12:09 PMmaybe i release it in the future as open source.
dear Elmar, please review Plop Boot Manager 5.0.15 source code request - https://forum.plop.at/index.php/topic,1846.0.html