hfsprescue -s1 stops exactly at same point several times

Started by Carl, July 26, 2017, 17:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

Hi all,

as a newby to hfsprescue I am trying to rescue data of an external disk, which has an somehow corrupted filesystem, which can't be repaired by traditional means (fsck and such).
Running hfsprescue -s1 works fine until it reaches exactly 77,16% (718.46 GB) of the scan.

Then hfsprescue stops reading (according to Activity Monitor) and sits there. I interrupted the process after waiting for a couple of hours.

I restarted hfsprescue -s1 three times (it takes approx 24h to get to that point). Last time I choose the force option. Every time it stopped at the exact same point of the scan.

Any thoughts what to do?

Thanks and best regards
Carl

Elmar

Hello,

is there a hardware failure on the hard disk with the corrupted file system?

Best regards
Elmar

Carl

Quote from: Elmar on July 27, 2017, 13:34:24 PM
is there a hardware failure on the hard disk with the corrupted file system?

Hi Elmar,

not that I am aware off. I tried to make an image of that disk using dd und ran into a I/O error. You reckon that could be a sign of an faulty hardware?

Cheers
Carl

Elmar

Yes. Thats the problem.

Create an image with dd and use also the parameter 'conv=noerror,sync'

Best regards
Elmar

Carl

Hi Elmar,

thanks for the hint. Will try that.
Interestingly I managed to successful passed step 1 of hfsprescue by alternating some settings on my system. I am pretty sure the reason for the problem was the fact, that I forgot to disable the option "put hdd to sleep if possible" within the energy saving settings. After I removed that particular setting hfsprescue ran like charm. I was even significant faster (5 hours for 100% instead of 24h for 77%).

Currently I am at step 4 and it seems I can rescue quite a few files.  :D

Thanks again for the support.
Cheers
Carl