using plop as a program started by a ms-dos bootable floppy disk

Started by floppyloadsusb, May 05, 2019, 22:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floppyloadsusb

hi there,

i have used plop boot manager so far to boot usb pendrives on 1 computer. it works great. it's mainboard and bios won't start from usb, only optical, hdd/sdd (i used an adapter to connect s-ata ssd's to the ide-port it's the digitus s-ata ide adapter https://www.digitus.info/de/produkte/computer-zubehoer-und-komponenten/computer-zubehoer/io-karten/ds-33150-1/ ) and floppy. it's easy to boot from dvd but i don't want to burn everytime a new DVD-RW i prefer using a pendive, it's just faster and easier on newer machines. the one pc is using an athlon xp cpu non-sse1 1 gb ram 32-bit lubuntu windows xp dual boot. since there is no need for floppy anymore, i use it with plop boot manager to boot usb pendrives and it works flawlessly. i don't like it throwing away working stuff.

i have another pc, strange thing. using a BTX case won't be produced anymore the floppy drive was faulty i couldn't format it under windows xp (it has only windows xp pro at the moment). the new floppy drive allows writing and formatting and even creating a ms-dos bootable floppy also it seems that installling plop boot manager this way https://www.plop.at/de/bootmanager/mbrinstall.html#fatinst works but it simply don't show up. i also used the floppy from the frist pc but plop boot manager won't show up. maybe this floppy drive is also faulty? no. i created a ms-dos bootable floppy and put plpinst.com and plpinstc.com both and the floppy and could start them. but the screen text won't help me because it's only possble to install plop on hdd from there. is there a possibility to start plop boot manager like a dos-program from ms-dos (or even free dos)?

maybe supergrub on floppy will help me. i will try that too for the future.

it's indeed some rubbish idea that i am doing i mean i could just boot everything from usb but since i had great experience with plop on floppy on the first pc i would like to give all floppies and floppy drives a chance to be used as a global boot manager.

the captcha codes are hardcore here.

Elmar

Hello,

Quote from: floppyloadsusb on May 05, 2019, 22:32:55 PM
... installling plop boot manager this way https://www.plop.at/de/bootmanager/mbrinstall.html#fatinst works but it simply don't show up. i also used the floppy from the frist pc but plop boot manager won't show up. maybe this floppy drive is also faulty? no. i created a ms-dos bootable floppy and put plpinst.com and plpinstc.com both and the floppy and could start them. but the screen text won't help me because it's only possble to install plop on hdd from there. is there a possibility to start plop boot manager like a dos-program from ms-dos (or even free dos)?

You are starting the boot manager install program (plpinstc.com renamed to plpbt.bin) from the floppy and not the original plpbt.bin. Grab plpbt.bin from the boot manager zip and make again the floppy bootable.

Best regards
Elmar

floppyloadsusb

Wie ich schon geschrieben hatte, akzeptiert das Mainboard die Diskette nicht, obwohl Floppy und Laufwerk fehlerfrei sind. Manchmal erweist sich selbst die Formatierung als große Hürde.

Ich kann plpinstc.com zu plpbt.bin umbenennen und die Diskette bootbar machen. Auf dem Bildschirm erscheint während des Bootvorgangs nur 1 Punkt oben links. Eigentlich müsste eine ganze Zeile unten ausgefüllt werden mit Punkten, das sollte nur 3 Sekunden dauern. Dann erscheint das Bootmenü.

auf dem Problem-PC kann ich plop nicht booten. Ich kann aber eine ms-dos -floppy erstellen und etwas damit starten. ich dachte mir ich könnte so plop starten. immerhin wird die diskette als bootmedium erkannt. ich dachte an ein bios-update, aber es gibt dazu nichts.

floppyloadsusb

Eine möglichkeit plpbt.bin über DOS zu starten, das suche ich

Elmar

Quote from: floppyloadsusb on May 09, 2019, 19:34:05 PM
Eine möglichkeit plpbt.bin über DOS zu starten, das suche ich

Starten würde gehen, aber booten kann man dann nichts.

Probier https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/plpbt.bin.html#runsyslinux
Die Diskette wird dann mit "syslinux a:" bootfähig gemacht.

floppyloadsusb

Geht das mit einer ms-dos boot diskette und plpbt.bin?

Mit syslinux habe ich mich nie ernsthaft befasst

Elmar

Es ist eine alternative Möglichkeit um plpbt.bin zu starten. Ohne DOS.

Von DOS kann man mit plpbt.bin nicht weiter booten.

floppyloadsusb

I've booted Linux Mint 19.1 32 bit from dvd and it started without problems. i  copyed the plpbt.img file from the live system with sudo if=plpbt.img of=/dev/fd0 then i started plop boot loader from floppy without problems . i could start a bootable usb pendrive.

it seems the win xp pro sp3 is a bit buggy. i couldn't start rawwrite from there.

wieder einen pc gerettet. jetzt muss ich warten bis eine ordentlich ssd mit 480 gb für 30 € zu haben ist.

thank you sir for plop boot manager.