add/remove icons from the desktop and Applications menus

Started by Elmar, April 07, 2010, 13:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elmar

Quote from: Thiassi on April 07, 2010, 13:10:23 PM
I need to add/remove icons from the desktop and Applications menus. Which file will I need to uncompress and edit to achieve this?

there are different solutions, but the fastest way is:

• do all configurations you need
  • open a terminal and compress the /root directory with "tar cfz /root.tgz /root"
  • copy the created file /root.tgz to the pluspacks directory
  • add at the bottom of the script ploplinux/myscripts/runme.sh the line "tar xfz /media/pluspacks/root.tgz -C /" to restore your settings at startup

best regards
elmar

Thiassi

Alejandro

I found an unpleasant side effect of this method. autostartx writes to /root/.bash_profile commands that run after start of terminal:
case \`tty\` in
    /dev/tty[1])
# place here any command that should auto start at terminal 1
# remove the # on the line below the see the text
# echo hello, this is terminal 1
startx

;;
esac

after several savings of /root directory these commands accumulate in .bash_profile and lead to the immediate relogin after logout in gnome. so it's require either delete unnecessary lines manually or (I prefer this) remove adding these lines from autostartx.

Elmar

Quote from: Alejandro on September 03, 2010, 17:50:51 PM
after several savings of /root directory these commands accumulate in .bash_profile and lead to the immediate relogin after logout in gnome. so it's require either delete unnecessary lines manually or (I prefer this) remove adding these lines from autostartx.

to avoid this, you can add this check

case \`tty\` in
    /dev/tty[1])

CHECKFILE=/tmp/autorunonce.tmp

if [ ! -f $CHECKFILE ]
         then
            touch $CHECKFILE
    # place here any command that should auto start at terminal 1
    # remove the # on the line below the see the text
    # echo hello, this is terminal 1

startx
         fi
    ;;
esac

Alejandro

Your solution is much better, thanks. I think about something similar but still can't accommodate to linux file-driven way of being )

On second thought... I presume this will lead to bloating of .bash_profile in future...