Another error booting USB HD with CD

Started by spoobs, August 13, 2009, 21:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoobs

I'm very new at this so i may have done a step wrong or missed a step..

I have an 300GB external HD that i want to use for my main boot source. What i first did was use a small Hard Drive to install windows. I then copied the entire Hard Drive content onto my external Hard Drive using Acronis True image. Then unplugged the smaller Hard Drive.

I burned the plpbt.ISO image using nero onto a DVD because i had no CDs.. w/e. And booted via DVD-ROM. The boot manager comes up. I select USB and i get this message.

Searching EHCI DRIVERS"
Searching on HOSTS HOST1:
PORT1:
PORT2:NO MASS STORAGE
HOST2:
Couldn't see the rest

Then it goes back to the normal boot post and says a disc read error occurred press control+alt+delete for restart

did i forget to do something?

Elmar

is the usb harddisk connected direct on the usb port or on an usb hub?

spoobs

Directly into the back of the motherboard. no hubs..

Although i cought a glimpse of the hard drive name when it tried to boot a second ago if that helps any. So maybe it is seeing the storage device somewhere below Host:2 but it happens so fast its hard to tell exactly what it says.

Elmar

press ctrl u in the boot manager main menu

spoobs

Loading EHCI Driver
Searching on Hosts
Host1:
Port2: NO MASS STORAGE DEVICE
Host2:
Fujitsu
MHX2300BT
LOADING BOOT SECTOR...

Fujitsu is my hard drive manufacture

Elmar

usb harddisk is detected. did you prepare the windows in any way to boot from usb? only to copy the image is not enough

spoobs

then this is my downfall. I had only attempted a boot from DVD after burning the ISO. Instructions were a bit difficult to follow for me since i know nothing about boot menus and such. could u direct me in my next step please.

Elmar

its not a problem with the dvd. the dvd with the boot manager is ok. the fault is, that windows is not able to boot from usb. there are some ways to modify windows xp to make it able to boot from usb. ex. usboot.org or bartpe for usb.

this forum is a good source
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/