Dual Boot Windows 7/XP PC Issues

Started by nkeller74, May 19, 2020, 19:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nkeller74

Hi All,

I'm building a vintage PC to support some of my older lab equipment.  Seems dual booting windows is easier said then done.

Hardware details:

Motherboard: Asus A7V8X (latest and greatest in 2002)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
RAM: 3GB(Max)
Disk Drives: Adaptec SCSI controller card 29160N Ultra 160
                  IBM 18GB SCSI drive
                  Maxtor Atlas 36GB SCSI

Current config:

I installed WinXP on drive D.  Before installing Win7 WinXP reliably booted.  Then I installed Win7 on Drive C.  Win7 now boots and mounts Drive D(I can see the WinXP files).

Simply this, what's the path to get a boot loader on this PC?  I didn't try Plop yet.  Will it work with this application?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Nate

ruuser

Probably Plop is not required, you can add the WinXP startup item to the Win7 menu. You can do this using the program bootice.exe - select the BCD tab, then EasyMode, click Add, select "New Windows XP/2003 entry" and select disk D on the right side of the window, and finally click "Save current system". After reboot, the menu with WinXP should appear.

nkeller74

Thanks for the reply ruuser.  What I ended up doing is partitioning one drive into two.  I installed WInXP first on Drive D.  Then when I installed Win7 on drive C the boot manager listed both Windows 7 and XP.  When I installed windows 7 it found the older version of windows and setup the boot loader.  It was almost to easy.  When I had the two individual SCSI HDD's installed(using the Adaptec controller card) and I installed WinXP first then Windows 7, for some reason Windows 7 never found the older version of windows and therefor never set up the boot loader.  I even tried EasyBCD and it couldn't ever find the other windows install. When I would go to add it the program would throw some error and crash.  Maybe I'll give Bootice a try.  Where can I find it?  Thanks again.

-Nate

ruuser

Program here - https://www.sites.google.com/site/gbrtools/home/software/bootice-portable/bootice-downloads
version 1.3.3.2 is working fine.

just be careful, this is a program with great features