Boot Error - No boot device found

Started by Xyloox, February 25, 2021, 17:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyloox

Hello,

I'm writting this topic today, knowing that it has already been treated a few times but i'm still stuck with this error.

I'm using VirtualBox to create a bootable usb device in order to run Tails which would allow me to activate the persistence of the OS.

For doing that, i need in a first time to install Tails OS on my USB stick (which is a SanDisk Ultra Luxe 3.0), and after that, i have to launch my tails VM through ploplinux bootmanager to create all the persistent files i need.

The problem is that once i've launched my VM with ploplinux, i then enter in "Plop Boot Manager 5", so i can select USB, which should run tails OS that is installer on my USB stick.

But, it just tells me these few lines :

Loading EHCI Driver
Searching on hosts
Driver removed
Loading UHCI driver
Searching on hosts
Driver removed
Loading OHCI driver
Searching on hosts
Driver removed
Boot error
No boot revice found, please retry it

I don't really understand why this error happens every time because i already had a tails bootable version on this exact same USB stick that i'm using today. I tried all kind of USB Controller, from USB1.1 (OHCI) to USB2.0 OHCI + EHCI and even USB3.0 xHCI. Depending on which USB Controller i choosed, i tried to connect the USB stick in both of my 2.0 et 3.0 USB plugs, but nothing that i tried is actually working.

Sometimes, while using 1.1 or 2.0 USB controller, the message that i wrovte above will slightly change, but at the end, i always have the same error.

Xyloox

I just want to add, that, when i select the USB Controller 2.0 (OHCI + EHCI), and then boot through plopboot manager using my USB stick (which is a 3.0 USB as i said) on my 2.0 USB hub, my VM just crashes as shown on the following screenshot.

]

Elmar

Hello,

what VM do you use?

Did you try PBM6?

Best regards
Elmar

Oliver

I had the same problem as Xyloox with Plop 5.0.15. installed in MBR on a Win10 PC. Exact same messages...

Reading Elmar's reply I gave it a try for PBM6.
I get the menu. Selecting Win10 works fine. Selecting PBM6 doesn't work. It fills my screen with
"Interrupt: 0x27, LPT1, not handled!"

I had to power off to reboot into Win10 - to write this message  ;)

My ASUS Laptop is 10 years old - but even this one has no parallel port no more (LPT1).
I'm actually pretty happy since I put SSD and more memory in. Its old AMI BIOS just doesn't boot from USB3 and there is no update for it.

Would be nice to get PBM6 working  :)

By the way, Elmar: it was a pain to register for your forum! I can hardly read the "Verification" letters and the listen option doesn't work. And now there's another one for posting this msg  >:(

ruuser

try Plop version 5.0.10, I have seen PCs that did not work with newer versions of Plop - loading on them stopped with similar errors.

Oliver

Will do and report back!
Thanks for the hint ruuser!

Oliver

I also tried PBM 5.0.10 now: no avail, just errors  :(

Reverted back to initial setup (no MBR tweaks, no boot mgr).
I use VMware to run Linux, macOS and others - don't need a boot mgr for this.

Will still be happy to use PBM6 once it's stable, though, to finally boot USB3 drives at full speed (for fixes, recovery etc)

Many thanks for your hints and comments!

Elmar

Quote from: Oliver on March 18, 2021, 14:01:37 PM
I get the menu. Selecting Win10 works fine. Selecting PBM6 doesn't work. It fills my screen with
"Interrupt: 0x27, LPT1, not handled!"

I had to power off to reboot into Win10 - to write this message  ;)

My ASUS Laptop is 10 years old - but even this one has no parallel port no more (LPT1).

The unhandled interrupt problem should be fixed in the next update.

Quote from: Oliver on March 18, 2021, 14:01:37 PM
By the way, Elmar: it was a pain to register for your forum! I can hardly read the "Verification" letters and the listen option doesn't work. And now there's another one for posting this msg  >:(

What should I say, its the standard verification of the SMF forum.

Oliver

Thanks for replying, Elmar, at 4:36 am - you must be a pretty busy person...

Will be happy to try PBM6 again once the interrupt issue is fixed

Have a good day
Oliver