Author Topic: [SOLVED] -s1 taking forever  (Read 231 times)

nucl3arGzus

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
[SOLVED] -s1 taking forever
« on: May 16, 2021, 01:48:34 AM »
Greetings, friends.

I'd like to clarify from the start that I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Linux and command lines.
I had a Mac long ago, and I made some backups in external hard drives. Unfortunately, the only backup I made of all my photos where done in a single 320GB drive. Thing is, it seems to be corrupt, because I can't mount anywhere.

I'm a Windows user, but a friend of mine suggested I try linux to recover this hdd, and since I wanted to do a fresh install of my OS, I decided to go with Ubuntu first to recover it. I'm using Ubuntu version 20.04.2 LTS x64.

I have 2 SDD and 1 HDD in this machine. The first time I tried HFS+ rescue, I used only my 120GB SSD. Which was stupid, since my external drive is 320GB.
After 2 days of blood sweat and tears, I managed to reach -s3, only to find my SDD completely full. I had to abort hfsprescue.

I formatted the drive again, and this time I also formatted my second 480GB SDD as ext4 to put the recovered files there. It took me another day to figure out how to make hfsprescue work with my 2nd drive.

Finally it's working!
Except, it's moving painstakingly slow. The first time I ran -s1 (when I only had the 120GB for this), it took me 2h30 to complete that step. In the first 10 minutes it listed all 39900 and some files.
This time, it's been over an hour and I'm at 0.16% with only 17412 files. (it took 15 minutes to move the first 0.03%, and another 40 minutes to start showing any files)

I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong.
I aborted the scan once (after 30 minutes and only 0.06%), restarted my pc, changed the usb port, and resumed hfsprescue. It's as slow as before.

I don't know if this means anything, but here's the packages I've installed after this fresh install:
  • build-essentials
  • zlib1g-dev
  • openssl
  • hfsprog
  • hfsplus
  • vim

I don't really remember everything I did the first time I got it right, 'cause I was completely lost and trying everything. The only thing I remember I had done was to intall something to read APFS (because that's what I thought was the drive's file format)
Is there anything I can do to speed this process? Is the second SDD a problem?
Any insights are appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 00:04:04 AM by nucl3arGzus »

nucl3arGzus

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Re: -s1 taking forever
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 00:03:35 AM »
It worked!
I have no idea what happened. I did nothing different from before.

I don't know if it might help someone smarter than me, but here's the sequence of events:

Yesterday, I ran -s1 many times. I left it running once for 3 hours, but reached only 0.36%. I would abort with Ctrl+C, remove the disk, restart the pc, plug the disk at a different USB port, remove the data directory and retry. After several attempts, I gave up.
I downloaded qBittorrent for... er... totally legit reasons and installed it using the instructions found here: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/wiki/Compilation:-Debian,-Ubuntu,-and-derivatives (by god! Why everything has to be so complicated in linux? What's wrong with "next, next, finish"?)
I also installed VLC. This time, my tired brain worked and I just used the Ubuntu App Store to install it.

I had not installed qBittorrent the first time I run -s1 successfully. But I had installed VLC. I have no idea if it installs some package necessary for HFS+ rescue to work properly.

Anyway, I called it quits and went to sleep. Today, I woke up, watched some YouTube videos and, while sipping my coffee, decided to give the rescue one more try. I ran:

Code: [Select]
sudo rm -r hfsprescue-data
sudo hfsprescue -s1 /dev/sdd1

And it immediately began at 0.03% which was promising. In 30 seconds it had reached 1% and listed all the files. It took me exactly 2h30 to complete -s1.

From there, the rest was a breeze. -s3 took me 54 minutes.

I now have almost all my files recovered. I lost some, probably corrupted. But I am happy with the results. Thousands of photos recovered. 5 years of memories.

As far as I'm concerned, I did nothing differently from before. I'm registering the events in case it might help the developer.
It might've been a miracle, magic, or the power of hope. Or maybe some packages I had installed with qBittorrent of VLC. Figures.

I'll be sure to donate as soon as possible.
Thanks a lot!

Elmar

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2475
  • a command shell is enough to do amazing things
Re: [SOLVED] -s1 taking forever
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 08:24:30 AM »
Hello,

its great that it worked finally. But it has nothing to do with qBittorent or VLC. There are no packages that makes HFS+ Rescue faster.


From here its difficult to say what happened. Either the problem was from the source drive or the destination drive.

As far as I'm concerned, I did nothing differently from before.

You used another destination SSD.  I don't know how old your destination SSD is. Years ago, I had a SSD that had suddenly very bad performance after months of normal usage (not related to HFS+ Rescue).  It was a firmware problem of the SSD. Since a firmware update, the SSD works fine and fast. So its possible, that writing to some area of destination SSD was the reason for the slow speed. But thats just a speculation.


Best regards
Elmar