After spending more than on day to find out working menuentry for ubuntu@
/etc/grub.d/40_custom

exec tail -n +3 $0

menuentry "Plop Boot Manager" {
   insmod part_gpt
   insmod ext2
    linux /boot/pbm6
}
I am stuck at kernel to old message now. No matter if bpm6 or plpbt.bin (tried newest and oldest) was tried to load.

Any ideas?

Elmar

Instead of
  linux /boot/pbm6

use
  linux16 /boot/pbm6

Xeubuntu

Elmar

Xeubuntu

The bios can do csm and efi. Lubuntu is loaded as efi. I saw there is efi variant of plop v6 available. It seems to be more difficult to start that from grub, could not figure it out.
Regarding missing linux6 - this might be connected to 64 bit variant of lubuntu or efi installation of lubuntu.

In the grubloader Windows is loaded as efi:

menuentry 'Windows Boot Manager (on /dev/nvme0n1p2)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-efi-CE3B-ED64' {
   insmod part_gpt
   insmod fat
   search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root CE3B-ED64
   chainloader /efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}
Lubuntu by initrd:
'Advanced options for Ubuntu' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-91a7a2cb-32eb-43c7-975c-bd68488ba99b' {
   menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 6.2.0-39-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-6.2.0-39-generic-advanced-91a7a2cb-32eb-43c7-975c-bd68488ba99b' {
      recordfail
      load_video
      gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
      insmod gzio
      if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
      insmod part_gpt
      insmod ext2
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 91a7a2cb-32eb-43c7-975c-bd68488ba99b
      echo   'Loading Linux 6.2.0-39-generic ...'
      linux   /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.0-39-generic root=UUID=91a7a2cb-32eb-43c7-975c-bd68488ba99b ro  quiet splash $vt_handoff
      echo   'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
      initrd   /boot/initrd.img-6.2.0-39-generic
   }
Memtest:
Was based on a "insmod dos" varant, seems to have dissapered.

Yes, I have read your documentation. Unfortunately I am not skilled enaugh to find out how to make efi work.I fully understand you cannot go into details with that range of projects. The most simple working menuentry would be great. 

Elmar

linux16 is missing because of efi.

This should work with PBM6-EFI, but I haven't tested it.

menuentry "PBM6-EFI" {
    chainload /boot/pbm6-x64.efi
}

When you already use GRUB2, I see no reason to use one of the Plop Boot Managers. GRUB2 has so many features and is stable.

Xeubuntu

No more error messages, it just stucks during loading.
8 core cpu, more than enaugh ram.

Used pbm6-efi-20230206, 194,2 kb of size.

Loading parameters missing or need another (test) version?

Tried:
exec tail -n +3 $0
    chainloader /boot/pbm6-x64.efi
}

and
exec tail -n +3 $0
     insmod chain
}

Is there any posibility to make linux16 availabe, or do I have to reinstall the whole multiboot system?

Elmar

It works fine on my test machine.

Although it is not needed on machine, try also "set gfxpayload=keep"

exec tail -n +3 $0
    set gfxpayload=keep
}

Elmar

Quote from: Xeubuntu on January 02, 2024, 17:54:35 PMIs there any posibility to make linux16 availabe, or do I have to reinstall the whole multiboot system?

EFI is completely different. linux16 is not possible.

Xeubuntu

Still the same result, using  set gfxpayload=keep - it stucks during looding, showing the choose entry, without entries. This is normal behaviour, no matter if loading windows or lubuntu.
It is a Celsius M720. The machine itself works very reliable. There is a malfunction, detected devices, except pcie nvmes, are shown in the bootmenue any more. I did reset cmos, reflash bios - all without effect. Trying to fix this I have spendt two days already.
CD drive is also not in the boot options any more. I produced image with lowest possible write speeds, they are well recognised within bios and operating systems, but not available in the boot order any more.
I need to boot backup software and recover the operating systems. This is not possible from within operating systems. Ideas left:
- find missing parameters
- test efi version
- it should be possible to load the non efi version macrium stick directly from grub, always leave it at the same usb slot.

Elmar

Elmar

You could run the backup software within QEMU started from a Linux that booted from a Live CD/USB.

Xeubuntu

The backup software is Macrium. Macrium does not work from inside Linux. I tried a lot of other solutions.
Acronis True Image, for instance, is not able to recover valid images in some cases.

I am unable to boot from cd or usb, as described.

Is it maybe possible to integrate the Macrium stick into grub, until efi plop works,
or is there maybe a newer efi test version available?
Maybe chainloading grub4dos uefi and starting plop from there is a solution?

Elmar

Quote from: Xeubuntu on January 02, 2024, 23:40:27 PMIs it maybe possible to integrate the Macrium stick into grub,

I don't know how Macrium boots. I hear the first time from this software.

Quote from: Xeubuntu on January 02, 2024, 23:40:27 PMMaybe chainloading grub4dos uefi and starting plop from there is a solution?

This will not work.

Quote from: Xeubuntu on January 02, 2024, 23:40:27 PMI am unable to boot from cd or usb, as described.

I know, but you can do the following.

Add PlopKexec to GRUB2.
Boot -> GRUB2 -> PlopKexec -> Boot a Linux Live CD/USB (maybe Plop Linux)
On the Live Linux use QEMU with the device nodes of the internal drive, the device with Macrium and some performance options.
Start QEMU -> Use Macrium.
Reboot to the real system.

I don't know if you want to create a backup or restore a backup. So, maybe there have to be some tweaks.

Xeubuntu

Grub4Dos EFI did work. Almost out of the Box. Only issue -loading the iso to ram from nvme is slower than running it from usb2. Approx. 8MB/s loading time:

title Image
find --set-root /efi/grub/image.iso
map --mem /efi/grub/image.iso (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

Elmar

Interesting. I did not know that there is a EFI version of GRUB4DOS.

Xeubuntu

Yes, it is:

http://grub4dos.chenall.net/
http://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=22544

With chainloader non of the plop/pbm6 variants seems to work.
Linux16 I didnt try much.

Loading CD images works perfect and almost out of the box.
menu.lst and .isos have to be placed at /efi/grub
Keep in mind case sensitivity - efi is needet in small(!) letters for the menu.lst to be found.

Thank you Elmar for your quick replies and useful suggestions.

Simple as this .isos will be copied to ram and chainloaded:
title Image
find --set-root /efi/grub/image.iso
map --mem /efi/grub/image.iso (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

Will be in holiday for two weeks soon.

Would be super interesting, if someone tries out the grub4dos efi & linux16 route.
This could be super interesting for those, where the plop efi variants don't work.

Thank you Elmar for your quick replies and useful suggestions.