Dual Booting Two XP with PLOP 5.0.10

Started by barnesy, May 19, 2010, 15:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnesy

Hello,
I'm currently using PLOP 5.02 and dual booting between two installations of Windows XP.

I use GDISK to create my two partitions at 50% each.
I then install PLOP 5.02 from CD and configure it.
Then I use GHOST to image the two partitions.

Everything works great!

However,
I would like to start using the latest version of PLOP 5.0.10 because I want to be able to install PLOP from USB.

I do everything the same but when I try to boot to the second partition I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor.

Does anyone have any suggestions that could help me out with this?

Thanks for the help!

Elmar

are you sure that the profiles are correct configured?

regards
elmar

barnesy

Quote from: Elmar on May 19, 2010, 15:43:47 PM
are you sure that the profiles are correct configured?

regards
elmar

Yes I've checked several times.

Elmar

barnesy

Quote from: Elmar on May 19, 2010, 15:47:59 PM
how does the profiles look like?

Well I'm just about to get the profile information from 5.02 and 5.0.10 and compare the two.

It will probably take me about an hour or so.  I will post the information as soon as I have it.

Thanks for the help!

Elmar

btw. why dont you use the boot manager update function (installer option 3) when the system is working with 5.0.2?

barnesy

Quote from: Elmar on May 19, 2010, 16:02:27 PM
btw. why dont you use the boot manager update function (installer option 3) when the system is working with 5.0.2?

What will that fucntion do?

Thanks!

Elmar

simply update the boot manager program without changing the boot manager data

barnesy

Quote from: Elmar on May 19, 2010, 16:23:01 PM
simply update the boot manager program without changing the boot manager data

Well here is the issue.  I work in a school environment and the students damage the the CD-ROMs.  I would like to have version 5.0.10 on a USB drive so I can install it directly from a USB device to the hard drive.  If I try to do that with version 5.02 the installation overwrites the USB(I don't get the option to change destination).

Would running bootmanager update give version 5.02 the ability to work from USB?

Thanks!!

Elmar

copy the install program of 5.0.10 to the usb drive and then you are able to install/update the boot manager on the hard disk with changing the destination drive (option 7).

btw. 5.02 doesn't exists, its 5.0.2

barnesy

Quote from: Elmar on May 19, 2010, 17:07:46 PM
copy the install program of 5.0.10 to the usb drive and then you are able to install/update the boot manager on the hard disk with changing the destination drive (option 7).

btw. 5.02 doesn't exists, its 5.0.2

Yes I know that version 5.0.10 has the ability to change the destination.  The issue is that my second partition won't boot(I get the black screen with blinking cursor) using this version.

Version 5.0.2 installation does work great but I am not able to boot it from USB eliminating the CD-ROM

Elmar

Quote from: barnesy on May 19, 2010, 17:42:32 PM
Yes I know that version 5.0.10 has the ability to change the destination.  The issue is that my second partition won't boot(I get the black screen with blinking cursor) using this version.

yes, and i said "copy the install program of 5.0.10 to the usb drive and then you are able to install/update the boot manager on the hard disk"

barnesy

Quote from: Elmar on May 19, 2010, 17:46:56 PM
Quote from: barnesy on May 19, 2010, 17:42:32 PM

yes, and i said "copy the install program of 5.0.10 to the usb drive and then you are able to install/update the boot manager on the hard disk"

Sorry. I guess I'm not following you here.

I'm not sure if that will fix my problem. I have over 800 PC's and most of the CD-ROM drives are broken. If there is no bootmanger on on the PC I would need to just use a USB drive to install PLOP. Version 5.0.10 installs fine but it won't allow the second partition to boot.

Thanks for the help!

Elmar

Quote from: barnesy on May 19, 2010, 18:48:29 PM
Version 5.0.10 installs fine but it won't allow the second partition to boot.

i still believe its a wrong configuration in the profiles

barnesy

Quote from: Elmar on May 19, 2010, 18:52:39 PM
Quote from: barnesy on May 19, 2010, 18:48:29 PM
Version 5.0.10 installs fine but it won't allow the second partition to boot.

i still believe its a wrong configuration in the profiles

Thats what I thought but I have exactly copied the profiles from a working computer that is running PLOP 5.0.2 and used that with PLOP 5.0.10

Elmar

post the settings of the not working profile and then we continue

barnesy

Quote from: Elmar on May 19, 2010, 19:24:05 PM
post the settings of the not working profile and then we continue

I have attached two pictures. Each is the information from each partition.

Elmar

i dont think that the second partition is a valid partition. are the partition values the same like with the working 5.0.2?

barnesy

Quote from: Elmar on May 19, 2010, 19:53:45 PM
i dont think that the second partition is a valid partition. are the partition values the same like with the working 5.0.2?

I would have to go back and reinstall 5.0.2.

Why would 5.0.10 be installing different partition values than version 5.0.2?

Elmar

it should not. and i dont think it does. i thought this is another pc.

barnesy

Quote from: Elmar on May 19, 2010, 20:07:30 PM
it should not. and i dont think it does. i thought this is another pc.

Nope this is all the same PC.

If I use 5.0.2 I can get everything to work with no issues.
If I use 5.0.10 the second partition won't boot.

Elmar

barnesy

Quote from: Elmar on May 19, 2010, 20:37:37 PM
i have no idea whats going wrong.

Do you have another version of PLOP that has USB boot support I could try?

Thanks for the help!!

Elmar