Main Menu

DOS problem

Started by Dan, May 26, 2010, 16:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I booted into DOS (windows millenium version) from USB successfully, but when I tried to copy a file from USB to HD, the copy hung (not a hard hang, Crtl-Alt-Del still worked). When hung, the USB drive was not active (my USB drive light was not flashing).

Dan

When I try to boot DOS 7.1 from USB with a bunch of stuff in config.sys/autoexec.bat, the boot always fails, but not in a consistent way. Sometimes it fails early in the boot, sometimes later. Sometimes it hangs (Ctrl-Alt-Del works), and other times it continues with an error message (e.g. file not found).

Dan

Some more info:

plop is hanging waiting for USB interrupt (bit 0 of USB status).

The USB status register = 2 (bit 1 set, USB error interrupt)

Elmar

which controller/driver is used? uhci, ohci or ehci?

regards
elmar

Dan

Intel PIIX4 (implements USB1 / UHCI)

If you test for errors and retry, maybe that would solve the problem? Can't hurt anyway.

Elmar

the price to have all usb drivers, one ide cdrom driver and the other boot manager stuff in the space before the first partition to avoid the need of an partition to run the boot manager is to strip down the drivers. so there is currently only a small error handling implemented. this will be not changed with the 5.0.x series. there is simply no space left.

have you tried another usb drive?