Based on which Distro? Problems browsing Windows Network

Started by rranner, June 24, 2010, 15:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rranner

I'm experimenting with PlopLinux and would like to know on which Distribution PlopLinux is based.
PL is booted via PXE and mounts an SMB-share on my W2008 Server.
Internet is fine but when trying to browse the Windows Network I get an error:
"Unable to mount location" DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
Thanks for your help in advance.

Ranner Rudolf

Elmar

PLoP Linux is build from scratch by my self and does not base on any linux distro. so i have to freedom to build it in the way i like and i have a clean system. a few scripts are from lfs. nothing special. not everything has to be created new :)

how do you browse the network share?

elmar

rranner

I'm browsing through Applications->System Tools->File Browser

My configuration:
Windows Server 2008 with Tftpd32 as Tftp-Server
IPs via Windows DHCP
Various machines in my network configured for PXE-Booting
Kernel and initramfs delivered through Tftp
Windows-Share mounted

Everything works fine so far.

Some other questions popped up :)
How to add support for NTFS?
How to add applications?

Unfortunatly I'm no Linux crack but I find PlopLinux very interesting to tinker with

Elmar

Quote from: rranner on June 24, 2010, 16:44:55 PM
How to add support for NTFS?

PLoP Linux supports NTFS since years. but you have to know that PLoP Linux was initially designed for rescue purpose. the graphical interface is only an addon. the standard plop linux is used by the console. basically, you have to do the most with the command line. ex. mount a ntfs partition "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt -t ntfs-3g". PLoP Linux is not designed for beginners. there are many other distros for beginners.

Quote from: rranner on June 24, 2010, 16:44:55 PM
How to add applications?

if you want add programs, then you have to compile it by yourself and add it to the sqfs archive. or, if its a useful program, then i add it to the next release.

regards
elmar

rranner

Thanks for clarifying this Elmar.

Btw I still got the problem with the error message when trying to browse the Windows Network

Elmar

from the command line its no problem to access a windows share. i searched the web and it seems, its a problem with the nautilus (file browser) and samba client version. it should be fixed when i update the software.

EDIT:
i tested it now with an earlier version of samba and it works. so it should work again with the next plop linux release

Elmar

please replace the ploplinux/usr.sqfs with this one http://download.plop.at/tmp/usr.sqfs and test the network share stuff again

regards
elmar

rranner

works like a charm now

thanks for looking into this problem elmar :)

Elmar

thanks for reporting. i am glad that it works now. it will be in the next release.

best regards
elmar