Linux kernel command line (append) for plpbt.bin

Started by Elmar, June 10, 2010, 08:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elmar

Quote from: Icecube on June 10, 2010, 01:49:34 AM
@elmar
Does plpbt.bin (launches as linux kernel) support reading the kinux cmdlineprovided by the bootloader? So you can configure plpbt.bin from another bootloader.

currently not, but thats a good idea. i dont think that i have enough space left for all options. maybe i implement only the most needed like hidden usb boot, force usb 1.1, using text mode and changing font.

Icecube

When you boot plpbt.bin from another bootloader (syslinux, grub, grub4dos, grub2, ...), you shouldn't have any size limit for the plpbt.bin file.
Only when you want to install PLoP to the hard disk, you will have a problem if the size is to large.
It should be possible to add the code, that can parse this linux commandline, at the end of the plpbt.bin. You can add some magic number to this code, so you can check if it exists and if it exists, jump to it and execute it. After the code is executed, go back to the place from where you jumped. When you write this new plpbt.bin to the hard disk on install time, don't write the linux commandline processing code to disk.

Elmar

yes i know that, but plpbt.bin itself is limited to 64k and with the code+local data i am nearly at the limit. with the 5.1 series i go another way and then there is no 64k limit, but 5.1 will lose the ability to be installed to the first hard disk sectors (thats my current plan and is not fix). on the other side, 5.1 will have more features and better usb support (hubs, keyboard,...). both versions will exist parallel. then the user can choose, the tiny version or the bigger one

Icecube

Ah, I didn't know that the filesize was a limitation of PLoP itself.

It shouldn't be that hard to write a com32 module for Syslinux which can set the needed bytes on request.
LABEL plpcfgbt
COM32 plpcfgbt.c32
APPEND plop=plpbt.bin stm=hidden cnt=on cntval=1 dbt=usb

For grub4dos the needed bytes can be switched with the "write" command.

I don't know how advanced your plpcfgbt programs are (what kind of checks does it do, to see if it can patch this version of plpbt.bin, which bytes need to be changed to which values and how many bits/bytes are those fiels, ...), so it would be nice if you can tell us this. Or provide the source code of the configuration program.

BTW, plpcfgbt of plpbt-5.0.11-test doesn't work (probably just a version number that isn't updated??):
Error: wrong boot manager configuration version
       use the latest boot manager version and the latest plpcfgbt
       see http://www.plop.at

Elmar

Quote from: Icecube on June 10, 2010, 23:14:32 PM
It shouldn't be that hard to write a com32 module for Syslinux which can set the needed bytes on request.
LABEL plpcfgbt
COM32 plpcfgbt.c32
APPEND plop=plpbt.bin stm=hidden cnt=on cntval=1 dbt=usb

For grub4dos the needed bytes can be switched with the "write" command.

I don't know how advanced your plpcfgbt programs are (what kind of checks does it do, to see if it can patch this version of plpbt.bin, which bytes need to be changed to which values and how many bits/bytes are those fiels, ...), so it would be nice if you can tell us this. Or provide the source code of the configuration program.

you can do that if you want, the plpbtcfg source is available since the first version in the zip. it patches the plpbt.bin file. however, i add a few command line options. it makes it more flexible and easier to use. no need to preload anything, or patch any bytes. and don't forget lilo should work too ;)

Quote from: Icecube on June 10, 2010, 23:14:32 PM
BTW, plpcfgbt of plpbt-5.0.11-test doesn't work (probably just a version number that isn't updated??):
Error: wrong boot manager configuration version
       use the latest boot manager version and the latest plpcfgbt
       see http://www.plop.at

ohh yes, i fix this tomorrow

regards
elmar

Elmar

in the zip was not the current plpcfgbt version. i updated the zip

Elmar

hi,
i added a few parameters to the plpbt.bin 5.0.11-test2 version to use it with the append command with linux boot managers
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagerdl.html

parameters:
hiddenusb is the same like stm=hidden cnt=on cntval=1 dbt=usb
usb1=1, usb1=2, vm=text, fnt=bios see plpcfgbt

regards
elmar