GPT (GUID Partition Table) & Plop

Started by thunderratt, July 26, 2010, 11:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderratt

Does Plop support  GPT (GUID Partition Table)? This is a replacement method of the MBR (Master boot record) partition method.

I plan on creating a new system using this GPT so I can have as many primary partitions instead of using the three primary + 1 extended method of MBR (a move forward basically).

I am either going to use GRUB2 or Plop - but I cannot locate if Plop is (or will be) compatible with GPT. Please advise and thanks!

Elmar

hi,
no, gpt is currently not supported. 5.0.x will not support gpt.

best regards
elmar

thunderratt

Thanks for the quick response Elmar. So I guess I will have to struggle with grub2  :'(
And good job on Plop...it's great to see what you have done for 3rd party boot managers...please keep it up and thanks.

thunderratt

Well, since one of the operating systems on my system will be Windows 7 and Windows requires a motherboard using EFI instead of BIOS for GPT (as I understand it thus far) AND since my new laptop will unlikely be EFI based, then I may get a chance to use Plop.  I will find out when my laptop gets delivered to check to see what the motherboard supports.

Most people will not care about my laptop, but just posting this here in case anyone else looking for a GPT capable booter needs to know for sure their system can in fact use GPT. If I was not using Windows I could (and would ditch Windows if I did not need CS5 for class). If...then...else. :o

Elmar

if it helps, with my boot manager you can create more than 4 primary partitions on one hard disk, but you can have only 4 primary partitions activated per boot.

i don't know why you need so many partitions on a laptop.

Icecube

@ thunderratt
Just in case you want something else than grub2, you can use Syslinux (v4 and higher).
It supports GPT, only on BIOS based systems atm. In the future it will support EFI too.

GPT normally allows a old style MBR layout too (which doesn't contain all GPT parttions, but only a subset (max 4 primary partitions).