Boot from USB without bios option

Started by dear, July 28, 2010, 21:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dear

I want to install a linux in usb in a computer that does not have bios support. I wrote plop in a Cd and then booted usb from it to run linux. But the procedure is very cumbersome as everytime i have to manually boot from CD and then to USB.

Is there any procedure so that I can install plop in USB and try to boot linux directly from it.
The problem is that my hard disk is in a mess and so I want to run linux through USB.

As I am not a computer expert please give me  simple replies.

Thanks in advance

Elmar

hi,

Quote from: dear on July 28, 2010, 21:40:43 PM
I want to install a linux in usb in a computer that does not have bios support. ...

Is there any procedure so that I can install plop in USB and try to boot linux directly from it.

when your computer does not support booting from usb, how do you think that plop can be started from usb? thats not possible. you have to start plop from a device that is supported by your bios.

regards
elmar

dear

Thanks Elamar for the reply. I know one needs to boot from something that bios support. But is it possible that i can do some change in my USB through CDROM so that it can be booted.

Sorry, If I am naive in my questions.

Regards
Dear

Elmar

dear

I mean installing some program in my USB so that it become
bootable and recognised by computer something like grub?? Also is it not possible to bypass bios completely.

fms

Hi
I am also new to this, but an idea occurred to me. Can't you try the http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html#noinstall no install procedure
ie "Run from the Windows boot menu (2K, XP, VISTA and Win7)" procedure of PLoP.
Meaning put PLoP in the C drive, add one line to the boot.ini file. This way you start you PC, you will reach the Windows boot menu where you have to choose whether you want to boot from hardisk(internal) or start the on demand PLoP, and here you start PLoP, than you may get an option to select USB where you click on USB option and from there your bootable USB will start and you can boot from linux.

This is just an idea, as i am no expert on this.
Let me know if this procedure works for you, bcos i too have an old computer which i would be trying (just didnt get the time to try it as off now).