how to boot a mbr?

Started by ant1688, August 30, 2010, 21:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ant1688

dear all,
I have 2 harddisks.
The grub is installed in the mbr of 2nd disk. the plop boot manager is installed in the 'boot.ini' in the 1st harddisk.
The plop has boot items of each partitions, but no mbr option to boot.
I hope to boot the grub in the 2nd disk, how to?
thanks!

Elmar

hi,
do you ask because of a rescue purpose? the boot manager is not designed to boot a mbr of another hard disk. there is a workaround to boot the mbr with the pop boot manager, but user interaction is required.

regards
elmar

ant1688

thanks for quick reply.

The thing is my bios doesn't support to boot from second hard disk, while the linux does not encourage to install grub in partition and I like to leave the mbr in the first harddisk not changed.

so I am thinking to install the grub to a patition of the 2nd harddisk.

by the way, what is the workaroud boot manager?

I used smart boot manager from floppy, it is able to boot the mbr on the 2nd hard disk, but it doen't support to boot usb as plop.

I haven't found a boot manager which includes all desired functions: boot from mbrs, usbs and partitons.

best regards,

Elmar

Quote from: ant1688 on August 30, 2010, 22:38:29 PM
by the way, what is the workaroud boot manager?

whats the partition layout of the second hard disk? i only need to know how many primary and extended partitions you have.

ant1688

it is an ubuntu in the 2nd hard disk.
the patition table:
/dev/hdb1 /boot
/dev/hdb2 /
/dev/hdb5 swap

in ubutu I use 'grub-setup --force /dev/hbd1' to write grub in the 1st partition today, the plop in the 1st hard disk is able to boot the ubuntu now.

THANKS!