HDD or Flash drives USB BOOT WITH PCMCIA USB 2.0 cards ?

Started by tyeutyeu, June 15, 2009, 07:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyeutyeu

Hello,

Thank you for this very good bootmanager ! I have an old laptop with only USB 1.1. Would you implement the USB 2.0 PCMCIA card feature or is it not possible ?
Sorry my english is not so good.

Thank you again for your work.

Elmar

hi,
i tried to get some pcmcia books from www.pcmcia.org, but my order was ignored. if i ever get a good pcmcia book, then i will try to implement pcmcia.

best regard
elmar

tyeutyeu

what

maybe you find some drivers given by nec.com . they produce pcmcia-4portusb-cards

Elmar

Elmar

tyeutyeu

Thank you Elmar for your work with PCMCIA.

I try your great PLOP Boot Manager on two Sony VAIO laptops without USB Boot option in BIOS (PCG-FX502 and PCG6FX802) with the Plop Boot manager 5.0.11-rc1 PCMCIA on a floppy.

The PCMCIA cards tested are :
- a BELKIN HI-SPEED USB 2.0 Notebook card PB1161-B
- a BELKIN PB1161-C FSU222

The USB KEY is a KINGSTON DataTraveler 4 Go.

The boot manager start and I choose USB.
Plop Manager detect the USB KEY and boot the linux distrib and go to the start menu of lubuntu.
With the both options (Live or persistant) the boot break after somes seconds with the error message : can't find files ...

I put at first Lunbuntu (lucid lynx) with Lili USB creator on it, but after the error message I try Toutoulinux 4.3.1 (a french distrib variant of Puppy linux).

The error message come again : can't find file tts.ttl-431.sfs...
The computer doesn't seem to search the files wanted on the USB key (no led light on it) but the hard disk make noise and his light is on during 5 seconds just before the error message.

I can boot on the USB 1.1 of the laptop but that's very slow and the liveUSB key work great on other PC.

Maybe you could help me ? But I will understand if you can't because there are lot of PCMCIA card, and I think you don't have time to try all of them.

Thank you again for your work.

Elmar

Quote from: tyeutyeu on September 28, 2010, 23:54:58 PM
Maybe you could help me ? But I will understand if you can't because there are lot of PCMCIA card, and I think you don't have time to try all of them.

the boot manager pcmcia stuff seems to work on your pc because you get a start menu from the distro. so the not booting problem is a problem of the linux distro you are using.

when you want to boot a linux distro from a pcmcia usb pccard, then the linux kernel must have pcmcia/pccard support compiled into the kernel, or the distro has to load the required modules during bootup. you have to ask the people of the distro to add this feature when you are not able to boot the distro from the usb pccard. or you compile the kernel by yourself.

btw. ploplinux is able to boot from an usb pccard, but i don't think that ploplinux is that what you need.

regards
elmar

tyeutyeu

Yes, you're right. Your Ploplinux work good with the USB PCcard.
Do you know an other LiveCD linux distro more "friendly" with LXDE or an other small graphics environement, who include the usb pccard at boot in the kernel ?

I can ask on the websites of many distro, but my english is not so good.
I think your very good program PlopBoot manager is the only one, who can use USB PCMCIA boot.

tyeutyeu

...So it could be great if you could prepare the question I can send to the distro websites. It could be a way for this developer teams to know what the very goog work you did ! Or maybe it could be an idea to open a new post to list the linux distro who are working ...

thank you again Elmar
kind regards