Main Menu

Extlinux

Started by kitsios, September 14, 2010, 20:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitsios

Hi, I am a newbie in this stuff and I want to ask a question.

If I want to boot an ext formatted drive I need extlinux. How do I actually install it/enable it in the iso?

Elmar

what iso do you mean? and i don't understand what you want to enable in the an iso.

regards
elmar

kitsios

The guide says in order to use extlinux, syslinux.cfg should be renamed to extlinux.conf
I don't understand this. I tried adding extlinux into the iso and setting it as bootable but PLoP does not start.

Elmar

from which iso do you speak?

kitsios

I have created an iso using plpbt-createiso
How can I actually use extlinux instead of isolinux in PLoP?

Elmar

you cannot use extlinux instead of isolinux for an iso file.

syslinux is used to be installed on fat file systems
isolinux is used for iso files
extlinux is used to be installed on ext2/3/4 and some other file systems but not iso or fat.

why do you think that extlinux should be used for the iso? all syslinux variants have nearly the same features but every one is used to be installed on another file system type.

kitsios

I want to boot an Ext2 flash drive via a PLop CD, and I can only boot a FAT32. What mst I do in order to boot an ext2 flash drive?

Elmar

the ext2 flash drive itself must be bootable. you have to install extlinux or any other linux boot manager to this drive. the boot manager does not care what system or whatever is on the flash drive. it only provides the basic device access routines and loads the boot sector or mbr from the flash drive where for example the startup routines of extlinux are stored. then the boot manager gives the control to extlinux and the boot process continues. the boot process would not be flexible when all possible boot managers or system loaders have to be on a cd, floppy or hard disk. do you understand?

regards
elmar