Updating Drivers/Modules

Started by insane42, August 26, 2009, 22:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insane42

Hi.  First, I love PLoP.  Works like a charm.  I'm booting off of PXE and NFS mounting to get the filesystems.

However, I have a system with Broadcom NICs and the driver doesn't seem to be there for it.

What is the easiest way to get the latest NIC drivers/modules in and running to support PXE/NFS?

Thanks in advance!!

CS

Elmar

hi,
Hi.  First, I love PLoP.  Works like a charm.
nice to hear :)

please tell me what card does not work? all cards except isa, tokenring and extreme experimental are included in the kernel. maybe i forgot one.

i will explain how you can add modules, but wait until the next release, then some things will be easier because patching the kernel will be no longer required. i change to squashfs 4.0 which is included since 2.26.29.
the new release will come when the kernel 2.26.31 is released.

regards
elmar

insane42

Thanks for the quick response!!

BTW, I started out working w/ DSL to build a small PXE Linux enivornment, but as soon as I came across PLoP, my world became a happy place.  ;D

The NIC on this system is a Broadcom NetXtreme gigabit adapter.  When it's booting, I see the following when it starts to try for a DHCP address:

tg3 0000:04:00:00 PMI# disabled

If I'm not mistaken, tg3 is the Broadcom driver, but perhaps it's an older driver?  Thoughts?

BTW, when is the next version due out?  ;)

Elmar

the tg3 driver is in the kernel. what happens when you boot with the plop linux live cd and setup the networkcard by hand

i dont know your network here is an example

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0

try to ping any ip (not dns) in your network

what happens?