USB Problem with Toshiba Notebook Satelllite 5200-903

Started by Elmar, August 30, 2009, 20:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elmar

split from topic "Run PLoP from CD but can't boot usb"

Quote from: jqou on August 30, 2009, 16:04:37 PM
I have the problem as well. My hardware is also a Toshiba Notebook (Satelllite 5200-903 from 2003). If you provide a software with debug traces I will test it for you... So hopefully the problem can be fixed. Please let me know ...

jqou

Hi again,

When I choose boot from USB, the traces show:

Loading EHCI Drivers
Searching on Hosts
Host 1

Then the bootmanager hangs . Sometimes the LED of the USB device is blinking. I have 3 USB 2.0 ports which I all have tried. But with Host 1 the search ends.

Elmar

jqou

Hi ! I tried the test version but the behaviour is exactly the same as before.

mazarin

Just thought I would share what worked for me, since I had the same problem.

It turned out that to get this working, I had to use a specific USB port and I had to insert the USB stick at a specific time.

I'm running PLoP on a Lenovo T60, where the USB boot option is disabled in the BIOS (and I don't have admin rights to change it). To make it work, I can't have the USB stick plugged in from the beginning (i.e. when the BIOS startup screen is displayed), but I must wait until immediately before PLoP starts loading from the CD. If I plug it in after PLoP has loaded, it won't work either.

Also, my laptop has three USB ports - one on the left hand side and two on the right hand side. To be able to boot from the USB stick, I have to plug it in to the lower one on the right hand side (not sure wich host no. that is) or else it will not work.

BTW, I'm running the latest test version of PLoP and haven't had the time to try this with the latest "official" version. Hope this helps someone in either booting from  a USB or Elmar in finding any problems with PLoP.

Finally, thanks for PLoP - it works great!  :)

Elmar

hi all,

here is a test version for ehci
http://download.plop.at/files/tmp/plpbt-testehci.zip

what chars do you see top left when you use ehci and it hangs?

Elmar

Elmar

Elmar

jqou

Elmar

Elmar

jqou

No problem, here are the results: driver hangs after following traces: "xxvabc"

Elmar

Elmar

jqou

just for interest. what could be the problem ? Is it the chipset ? if you gave me the sources / compilation environment I could try to debug as well.

Elmar

the problem is simple. i initiate the ehci host controller reset but the controller does not end the reset. there is no way to stop the host controller reset by software.

this version does not reset the controller
http://download.plop.at/files/tmp/plpbt-testehci6.zip

jqou

Sounds like the problem can be solved ?

For 6 the result is: "xxvabcdwxxE"

haruhb

Hi Elmar and jqou! Any progress on this issue? I am using a Toshiba Portege m200, and I'm having the exact same issue as jqou! I try to boot through USB, and I get
Loading EHCI Drivers
Searching on Hosts
Host 1

and then it hangs.
What's going on?

Elmar

no news. i have to find a cheap way to get the hardware to test on it.

@haruhb
please test http://download.plop.at/files/tmp/plpbt-testehci5.zip and tell me what chars you see no top of the screen

haruhb

gzk101

thanks a lot to Elmar

the tools is too userfull for pc that with only usb1.1 support,when i use grub4s to boot my computer (the USB interface is usb1.1) from PE,it have to at least 5 minute,but when i load plpbt.bin first,then boot from pe,it,s only have 1.5 minute.
PS: I used the plpbt.bin-test2 ,update 2009-8-20,when i use 5.0.3 ,it hangs,also i have asked for more people to test it on this wuyou bbs.
http://bbs.wuyou.com/viewthread.php?tid=142426&extra=page%3D1

best wishes

your friend gzk101 from china

Elmar

today, i got a toshiba portege m200 from ebay. tomorrow, i start with some tests to find the bug.

Elmar

@jqou: whats your bootup sequence in the bios? what usb support has your bios?

@haruhb: whats your bootup sequence in the bios?

elmar

jqou

Hi Elmar !

The boot sequence is as follow: FDD->HDD->CD-ROM->LAN

There is no USB support available in the BIOS.

Good luck !

Elmar

Quote from: jqou on October 02, 2009, 21:40:30 PM
The boot sequence is as follow: FDD->HDD->CD-ROM->LAN

what happens when you change the boot sequence that hdd is the first?

Quote from: jqou on October 02, 2009, 21:40:30 PM
There is no USB support available in the BIOS.

are you sure, maybe there is a second page. i dont think that a computer with an ehci controller has nothing about usb in the bios.

jqou

Changing HDD first does not solve the problem.

The notebook has not a classical BIOS setup like pressing "del" after switching on to enter the setup. The only possibility to manage the boot order is using a special thoshiba configuration programm under Windows XP. There is no option to boot from USB. During booting one can also explicitely choose in a graphical menu the boot device, but no USB is listed.

I thought booting from USB is not required by the bootmanager ?

Elmar

Quote from: jqou on October 02, 2009, 23:40:07 PM
The notebook has not a classical BIOS setup like pressing "del" after switching on to enter the setup.

i know the bios of toshiba. i have 2 different notebooks. with luck i figured out how to enter the bios. press multible times esc after you powered the notebook. you will get the option to press f1 to enter the bios.

Quote from: jqou on October 02, 2009, 23:40:07 PM
I thought booting from USB is not required by the bootmanager ?

yes, usb bios is not required, but something is going wrong with your notebook and my boot manager.

what do you try to boot, an usb pen drive or harddisk?

elmar

jqou

Hi !

I was able to enter the bios setup up, but there is no option for usb booting. You can only change the system time and date and set a password. There are no other options available.

I try too boot from a usb pen drive.

Elmar

Quote from: jqou on October 03, 2009, 11:00:54 AM
I try too boot from a usb pen drive.

do you have a pendrive of another company to test?

jqou

Yes I have, and I already tested it but no success.

Elmar

jqou

Elmar

jqou

Hi Elmar !

I have good news for you, finally your boot manager runs with my Toshiba notebook. You are great ! Many thanks.

biscuitlad

Quote from: Elmar on October 04, 2009, 18:30:19 PM
i think this will work now (i hope)
http://download.plop.at/files/tmp/plpbt-test5.zip

Hi Elmar - what happened to the link?  I have exactly the same laptop as jquo, and haven't been able to boot linux from a usb pen drive.  Downloaded the latest official - can I get hold of your test version please?!

Hi jquo - could you say which usb drive you used to get it working?  Were you trying to install / boot a linux distro?

Thanks

Elmar

the latest version 5.0.4 has included the code of the removed test version.

what goes wrong when you try to boot from usb?

elmar

biscuitlad

Quote from: Elmar on November 05, 2009, 21:00:59 PM
the latest version 5.0.4 has included the code of the removed test version.

what goes wrong when you try to boot from usb?

elmar

just the same as previously described.  Hangs with the same messages.  Tried different usb slots.  Didn't make a difference.  One thing jquo didn't mention is that the m200 has an SD slot that can also be used to boot.  However, I tried that too, but no success (doesn't show in the list, so I guess you don't check the same type of device might be inserted?).  Haven't tried all the plugging usb drives in at just the right moment - hope it's not necessary!

Elmar

do you have the portege or satellite notebook?
what happened when you use usb boot without usb device connected?

biscuitlad

Quote from: Elmar on November 05, 2009, 21:13:55 PM
do you have the portege or satellite notebook?
what happened when you use usb boot without usb device connected?

I am using a Toshiba Portege m200, and I'm having the exact same issue as jqou! I try to boot through USB, and I get
Loading EHCI Drivers
Searching on Hosts
Host 1

and then it hangs.

Elmar

hmm, i have the m200 too and it works without problems

what happened when you press the ctrl shift u

biscuitlad

Quote from: Elmar on November 05, 2009, 21:41:47 PM
hmm, i have the m200 too and it works without problems

what happened when you press the ctrl shift u

Ah ha!  That works!  Fantastic - you are a genius.  :-)