A bunch of questions

Started by Alejandro, September 01, 2010, 20:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alejandro

Hi Elmar

At first I want to thank you for such simple but very useful distro. Especially for out-of-the-box pxeboot ability.

I use pxeboot in VMware with opt.sqfs. So this is my questions:

• I have some strange behavior with assigning dns through dhcp: it's just not happening during bootup (however it writes, that dns is assigned), running dhclient from runme.sh works just fine
  • In gnome clicking on clock in right upper corner results in error message "clock has quit unexpectedly"
  • Applications "Disk utils" and "zenmap" just don't run. Without any error message
  • All items in System-Administration menu brings error message "the configuration could not be loaded. an unknown error occured"
  • In 4.1.0 rc2 gparted don't working. In 4.0.6 everything fine

Elmar

hi,

Quote from: Alejandro on September 01, 2010, 20:02:43 PM
I have some strange behavior with assigning dns through dhcp: it's just not happening during bootup (however it writes, that dns is assigned), running dhclient from runme.sh works just fine

hmm, i dont know why.
as workaround, you can set it manually when you add to the runme.sh "echo nameserver [ip] > /etc/resolv.conf" [ip] is the ip of your nameserver

Applications "Disk utils" and "zenmap" just don't run. Without any error message

i know now the problem of zenmap. a lib was missing. i  fixed it. it will be in the next text files

• In gnome clicking on clock in right upper corner results in error message "clock has quit unexpectedly"
  • Applications "Disk utils" and "zenmap" just don't run. Without any error message
  • All items in System-Administration menu brings error message "the configuration could not be loaded. an unknown error occured"

i think, the best is when i recompile gnome and update to 2.30. this will take some time

In 4.1.0 rc2 gparted don't working. In 4.0.6 everything fine

this is strange. i found no problem. what was exactly the problem with gparted?

best regards
elmar

Alejandro

Hi Elmar.
Quote from: Elmar on September 02, 2010, 13:06:57 PM
as workaround, you can set it manually when you add to the runme.sh "echo nameserver [ip] > /etc/resolv.conf" [ip] is the ip of your nameserver
Thanks, this should work. Will using dhclient in runme.sh have some negative side effects?

Quote from: Elmar on September 02, 2010, 13:06:57 PM
this is strange. i found no problem. what was exactly the problem with gparted?
It just won't start. Mouse pointer turn to watch on several seconds then nothing happen. If I try to run it from terminal it says that can't load library libparted-1.9.so.0, No such file (and it's true, such file is not exist). This only happen on 4.1.0 rc2

Elmar

Quote from: Alejandro on September 02, 2010, 19:38:53 PM
Thanks, this should work. Will using dhclient in runme.sh have some negative side effects?

no it has no side effect

Quote from: Alejandro on September 02, 2010, 19:38:53 PM
It just won't start. Mouse pointer turn to watch on several seconds then nothing happen. If I try to run it from terminal it says that can't load library libparted-1.9.so.0, No such file (and it's true, such file is not exist). This only happen on 4.1.0 rc2

did you use the opt.sqfs from the X iso of 4.1.0rc2?

Elmar

uups, this explains why only a few people downloaded the X version. i updated the link

Elmar

i compiled now gnome 2.30. this time i use jhbuild and not my own stuff. it was some kind of terror and very time expensive, however, the compilation is finished. but, the programs in the admin menu are still not working. i don't know why. i think this will be a unresolved issue :(