allow clients to autodetect resolution?

Started by prof_booty, October 06, 2010, 17:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prof_booty

Hi: I'm testing Plop Linux v4.0.6 via PXE boot via NFS. I've successfully been able to boot several clients and have added the Gnome option as well.

Everything looks good when I boot with an old school monitor at 1024x768. But clients with a widescreen monitor get 1024x768 as well and everything looks stretched. Is there a way to have clients auto-detect and set the best resolution, either 1024x768 or 1280x800?

Thanks,

Chris

Elmar

i don't know if there is a tool to autodetect wide screens. when you create a xorg.conf with different resolutions, then xorg takes the best resolution for the screen.

regards
elmar

prof_booty

Thanks for the quick response. I added "1280x800" to the screens section of /var/xorg.conf and restarted X, but the Gnome display manager does not display it as an option.

I know that when I pass bad vga= values to the boot parameters, the max resolution offered as an option is 1024x768. I know Windows can run 1280x800 on this machine, so I'm guessing the drivers are the issue? Would the RC release have a better chance of working?

I'd really like to use Plop for my little PXE boot project, but the screen resolution is a show stopper.  Thanks for any help you can give.

Elmar

the default driver is the vesa driver, you have to choose another driver. what graphic cards do you have?
with a simple script you can choose different xorg.confs before xorg starts

prof_booty

> what graphic cards do you have?

The widescreen has ATI Mobility Radeon X1300, the other has a Radeon X300.

I'm afraid I've never scripted changing drivers before, would I place it in the myscripts directory?

prof_booty

So I think I need to roll the fglrx driver in to the distro, is there any documentation or how-tos on how to add this driver in a PXE boot environment?

Elmar

you can create a xorg.conf called xorg.conf.wide for the wide screen and copy the file to the required place whe the pc has a X1300 card.

the script could look like this

#!/bin/sh

if ( lspci|grep X1300 >& /dev/null )
then
    cp /media/pluspacks/xorg.conf.wide /var/xorg.conf
fi

fglrx is the 3d driver for ati cards, do you really need it? you can use the xorg driver for ati cards "ati" or "radeon". both are already included.

prof_booty

Thanks so much for your patience, I think I am almost there. I don't need 3d, the xorg driver should be fine. Is the boot parameter "xdriver=xorg"?

Elmar

Quote from: prof_booty on October 07, 2010, 20:58:56 PM
Is the boot parameter "xdriver=xorg"?

i dont understand what you mean

regards
elmar

prof_booty

Sorry, some other PXE distros I saw had a boot parameter to set the driver X would use. I was able to modify /var/xorg.conf and load the "radeon" driver. It was very dim at color depth 16 (seems to be a known bug http://www.pubbs.net/201007/xorg/4314-bug-28901-new-ati-driver-returns-dim-screen-at-color-depth-16.html) but at depth 24 all looks well. I'll take your advice and copy new xorg.conf files depending on the output from lspci. Thanks so much for your help!

Elmar

Quote from: prof_booty on October 07, 2010, 22:55:53 PM
Sorry, some other PXE distros I saw had a boot parameter to set the driver X would use.

no problem

Quote from: prof_booty on October 07, 2010, 22:55:53 PM
I was able to modify /var/xorg.conf and load the "radeon" driver. It was very dim at color depth 16 (seems to be a known bug http://www.pubbs.net/201007/xorg/4314-bug-28901-new-ati-driver-returns-dim-screen-at-color-depth-16.html) but at depth 24 all looks well.

thanks for the info

best regards
elmar