Booting From External USB Hard Drive

Started by babydouggie, October 11, 2010, 20:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babydouggie

Hi, I am Trying to boot a Compaq Presario SR1520NX with no USB boot device bios support from an external USB hard drive( Win XP Os).Am using the CD Iso Version of Plop. The Gui comes up and I select USB, Plop goes to last driver choice and hangs up.Is there something else I need to do or is what I am trying not possible? My external drive has my backup of Windows (Norton Ghost) and will boot just fine if drive is taken out of USB enclosure and physically exchanged  for current C:\ drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

babydouggie

Some additional info on my previous post. My external USB drive shows as a "OEI-USB2 Ultra Disk Drive USB Device" in Windows Device Manager listing in Storage Volumes.Thanks

walterav

You might try force usb1.1 mode somewhere in the plop menu, but I still think that you will have a hard time booting Windows XP through the USB-port since it is not designed for that.
If I'm not mistaken you might need to install some patches first into Windows XP before it will work.

If plop boots and detects USB-devices than for reference try a Linux distro like Ubuntu, use the UNETBOOTIN Windows tool to copy the linuxdistro of choise or an .iso file to the usb-device to make it bootable.