Question about PLoP Boot Manager and installing Windows XP

Started by ray, September 14, 2009, 06:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray

Hi Elmar,

I have a question.

I plan on using PLoP on a floppy disk so I can use the USB boot option to install Windows XP on an old laptop.

The thing is Windows XP likes to restart a couple of times during the install process.

So, I want to know... what should I do when the laptop restarts?
Should I let the laptop restart to PLoP (via floppy disk) or should I let the laptop restart normally?

I'm guessing I should let the laptop restart normally, but I'm not sure.

I don't want to mess up the laptop so I need your expert advise, Elmar! :)

Elmar

hi,
the first question is what do you want to boot from usb. a cdrom or usb harddisk? usb cdroms are currently not supported.

here http://forum.plop.at/index.php/topic,24.0.html is a possible solution to install xp with an usb harddisk, but you have to use ms-dos instead of freedos.

i am sure there are other ways to install xp. how are your plans to install xp?

regards
elmar

ray

Hi Elmar,

Sorry for not being clear.

I plan on putting PLoP on a floppy disk.  Then I plan on using the USB boot option to install Windows XP from a USB flash drive on an old Sony VAIO FX310 laptop.

I used Unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net) to make the USB flash drive bootable with the Windows XP iso.

My only main concern, like I mentioned above, is when the XP install process wants to restart.

Since I'm using PLoP to boot up from my USB drive, I'm not sure what the proper procedure is.

If I let the laptop restart normally (taking out the PLoP floppy disk on restart), I'm afraid that something like what aiha experienced will happen.

Let me know what I should do.

Thanks!
-Ray

Elmar

hmm, i am still not sure what you are afraid of. you have a floppy drive and when the usb boot option of my boot manager works, then you are in the lucky position that what ever happens, you will be able to get system on your laptop.

did you try your usb flash drive to boot and install anywhere? did you see any site that tells you that unetbootin and the xp iso work as you wish?

Joseph A

Ray, I have a possible solution for you, if you are talking about Windows XP.  It solved my problem with a laptop that had a damaged internal DVD but that still had a working floppy drive.

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994 read carefully and get the proper program for you.

What these programs do, for different versions of Windows XP, is to generate some six setup floppies from which you can boot and install a nucleus of Windows. Thereafter, you can load the original Windows CD, which at this point can be mounted even on an external CD/DVD connected though a USB port.

ray

Quote from: Elmar on September 15, 2009, 01:18:19 AM
hmm, i am still not sure what you are afraid of. you have a floppy drive and when the usb boot option of my boot manager works, then you are in the lucky position that what ever happens, you will be able to get system on your laptop.

I haven't tried the process yet.  I haven't even booted up with the PLoP floppy disk yet!
Just want to take precautions. Call it a case of paranoia!

I'm just backing up some files on the laptop before I reinstall XP using PLoP.
Will update this thread when I have the chance to do so.

---

Thanks for the reply, Joseph.

I do have a somewhat-damaged internal DVD drive; I have to push the DVD drive into the laptop a certain way and hold it in place in order for the system to read the CD or DVD.

I'd rather create an image of the XP iso and use a USB flash drive to install.

ray

Just tried the booting PLoP from floppy disk.

When I select the "USB" option, I get this:

LOADING EHCI DRIVER
SEARCHING ON HOSTS
DRIVER REMOVED
LOADING UHCI DRIVER
HOST 1

And then it hangs.

I'm using a Sony VAIO FX310 laptop.

Do I need to do something, Elmar?

Elmar

ray

Using the test version of PLoP on a floppy disk booted from USB!

Now I have another problem... the live USB stick I made with UNetbootin throws an "Invalid or corrupt kernel image".

I guess I need to find another way to make the XP image USB bootable... got any recommendations?

Limer

Quote from: ray on September 20, 2009, 03:10:00 AM
I guess I need to find another way to make the XP image USB bootable... got any recommendations?

It is possible to boot the UBCD4Win from a USB-Drive with PloPbt and from a bootet UBCD4Win it is possible to install at least WinXP to a harddisk.
I don't exactly remember how to do this but it worked for me a year ago.

I recommend this entry in the UBCD4Win forums to make a bootable UBCD4Win USB-Drive

Frixi

Hello!

I have a problem. I was get the Polp manager i was burned on cd.
Its works , i can boot it from cd, but after i switch the USB drive option its start work but nothing happen.
I tried with make my win iso with rufus, but the machine cant find it.
Then i tried with easy2boot usb and same this. In test mode i see my isos on it ,so i think the problem is on the laptop.
I tried it with all 4 USB slot.
Its TOSHIBA Qosmio G20, and have 2 SATA ( :S ) HDD in. ATM WIN7 on, but its very slow with it. I try magic back to WIN XP.
I tried with nLite integrate SATA drivers to windows iso, but after i used F6 method , some work and then a BIGBLUESCREEN :(
I try on it 2 days but i my ideas are ended.