few problems + how to automatically load drivers and close

Started by a_catalin, October 31, 2010, 08:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_catalin

Hi.
Thank you for such great programs.

I use Boot manager (latest version) to load USB drivers on my boot stick. For stick I used WinSetupFromUsb to add my XP installation files + a few utilities in a grub4dos menu.
The section for the boot manager looks like this:
title Start PLoP boot manager\nYou may want to try it if your computer boots from USB slowly.\nOnce booted,select USB from its menu to load USB 2.0 drivers.
find --set-root --ignore-cd /usbdrive.tag
kernel /plpbt.bin

There are a few problems:
1. In Boot manager menu I try to use Down arrow key a few times to get to a certain item. But, randomly, it "behaves" like I pressed Return key and chosen to boot from some HDD without NTLDR ("NTLDR is missing\nPress Ctrl+Al+Del to restart").
Strange: if I press the key slower (for example once a second), it doesn't do that.
2. In configuration Gui if I choose Hidden USB and try to boot it does not show anything and locks the keyboard completely (Ctrl+Alt+Del or Numlock arent't working). The only option is to reset the computer.
3. If I load the USB driver and try to start XP installation, it hangs quickly saying about a error in a *.c file and to contact Microsoft.

I'm trying to set plpbt.bin to load the USB driver automatically and return to grub4dos menu. Can you please show me how to do that..?
Thank you in advance.

Best regards, Catalin

Elmar

hi,

Quote from: a_catalin on October 31, 2010, 08:39:02 AM
1. In Boot manager menu I try to use Down arrow key a few times to get to a certain item. But, randomly, it "behaves" like I pressed Return key and chosen to boot from some HDD without NTLDR ("NTLDR is missing\nPress Ctrl+Al+Del to restart").
Strange: if I press the key slower (for example once a second), it doesn't do that.

strange, i never heard that before. you can choose the keys 1-9 to boot an entry in the main menu.

2. In configuration Gui if I choose Hidden USB and try to boot it does not show anything and locks the keyboard completely (Ctrl+Alt+Del or Numlock arent't working). The only option is to reset the computer.

hiddenusb means, the boot manager tries to boot usb and makes no output on the screen. first check that usb booting works, then choose hiddenusb.

3. If I load the USB driver and try to start XP installation, it hangs quickly saying about a error in a *.c file and to contact Microsoft.

does it work with a pc that has bios usb boot support?

I'm trying to set plpbt.bin to load the USB driver automatically and return to grub4dos menu. Can you please show me how to do that..?

you have to activate the in19h option with plpcfgbt.

best regards
elmar

a_catalin

Quote from: Elmar on October 31, 2010, 18:48:20 PM
first check that usb booting works, then choose hiddenusb.
does it work with a pc that has bios usb boot support?

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, it works on my computer. I have bios Usb boot support on my PC (well, I said I'm loading the boot manager from a USB stick, not CD, HDD or Floppy) , I have USB 2.0 in Windows but only 1.1 in grub4dos. I'm using your Boot Manager to make it 2.0 in grub4dos.
For example the iso from Norton Ghost Recovery Disk is loading much faster with your Usb driver.
The XP installation works fine without this driver, but it starts slowly. I thought I could speed it up...

Best regards, Catalin

Elmar

i have to test winsetupfromusb, but currently i have no time

a_catalin

Hi.
I just tested the plpbt-5.0.11-2
It has the same problems...

a_catalin

Sorry for the double post but I think I have discovered a pattern.
If I load the BM and choose USB first time after starting the computer, it always loads fine.
I restart the computer; of course the USB 2.0 driver doesn't work anymore so I try again to load the BM and to choose USB; this time always freezes.
Even plpdisd.exe is freezing the computer.

Seems like somewhere in memory there are "leftovers" from the BM that prevents reloading it.
Can you please fix this...?

Thank you.

Best regards, Catalin

Later edit: btw, I have tried to load the boot manager from boot.ini or from CD and it has the same problem. So it's not a problem with WinSetupFromUSB or grub4Dos, but with the USB 2.0 driver on my computer...

a_catalin

Until now I have tested only stable versions. I usually stay away from Beta versions.
Today I have tested 5.0.12-test1. And I noticed an improvement.
Conditions required so the BM work fine on every reboot:
- never select USB-HDD as default boot device in Bios; instead I have to use F12 to show Boot menu and choose USB-HDD.
- never use Hidden USB option and wait a few seconds before manually choose USB.
- if I did not fulfilled the first 2 conditions and BM has frozen I have to turn off the computer  for at least 5 seconds.

Thank you for working on making it more stable.
I don't mean to sound ungrateful but could you please solve the rest of the problems..?
If you want I'll be a Beta tester, to help you improving it...

Best regards, Catalin