Flybook a33i post install problem with pointer

Started by raygeeknyc, September 14, 2009, 15:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raygeeknyc

Hi fellow Fly fans

I did an install of Flybuntu from Windoze on an a33im using the method of restoring flybuntu.000 to the newly created 10GB P: drive.  Post install I set up GRUB, etc. and all looked to have gone well.

When I boot into Linux, the touch screen works but the regular pointer does not, if I try to move to cursor using the pointer device, the cursor jumps wildly about the screen.  If I use the touchscreen and stylus, I can move the cursor but then if I click the hardware "mouse" button the cursor jumps around in a similar way.

Does anyone here have any experience with this kind of problem or suggestion as to how I might fix it?

Thanks,
---Raymond

Elmar

hi,
please post the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log here as attachment

regards
elmar

raygeeknyc

Elmar

please post your xorg.conf and the output of dmesg too

raygeeknyc

Sure thing.  Attached here.

Again, thanks

---Raymond

Elmar

hmmm, i am sorry.
i dont know whats wrong. i have a a33i too and it works here.

does the mouse work when you disable the touchscreen in xorg.conf?

regards
elmar

raygeeknyc

Hi Elmar
  I commented out the references to touchscreen in the server layout and for good measure I commented out the touchscreen section.  The effect was to cause the touchscreen input to flip on both the horizontal and vertical axes.

I then decided to try changing the pointer def from /dev/mice to /dev/mouse0, mouse1 and then mouse2.  mouse0 and mouse2 were dead whereas mouse1 seems to be the same as mice

One more thing I thought of, can you tell me what BIOS version your a33i is running (from the BIOS settings info)?  Maybe that's a difference to resolve.

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.
---Raymond

raygeeknyc

*ping* :)

I'm running BIOS version 20050325 (the one  that's available on the website)
H8 Firmware version 2.41
Motherboard version Flybook 1.9

---Raymond

Elmar

mine is older

my bios version is 20041005
H8 firmware 2.39
Motherboard 1.9

regards
elmar

raygeeknyc

Thanks, that's one thing to try, if only there were a downgrade BIOS installer for the older version.  I found a couple of posts from people with the same problem, their external/other mice work (one referenced their Bluetooth mouse) but the internal pointer "jumps around."

It seems like a possibility that, if not a BIOS related issue, there might be different hardware in different revisions of the hardware - I think that I will do some digging around and see if I can detect exactly what hardware is behind the built-in pointer in my Flybook.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks much
---Raymond

Elmar

Quote from: raygeeknyc on September 21, 2009, 14:52:26 PM
Any other suggestions?

no, but your mouse is internal connected to ps/2 as input8 (event device 8 )

elmar

raygeeknyc

Thanks, that'll save me some time/research   :)

raygeeknyc

Well, I removed the inversion of X and Y axes in Xorg.conf and the pointer still jumps around erratically, albeit in the right general direction now :)

Upon further reflection, in its current state it seems like an interrupt servicing problem - I'm going to play with related BIOS and kernel params.  Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
---Raymond

Elmar

you have to know, the touchscreen driver has 2 components. the kernel driver penmoutlpc and the xorg driver plpevtch. the first step should be to look what the kernel driver reports.

for maximum debug output use

sudo bash
rmmod penmountlpc
modprobe penmountlpc debug=3

move the stick diagonal over the screen and the look if the coordinate values are like the should be with "dmesg"

regards
elmar

raygeeknyc

SOLVED!  :)

I launched Windoze and noted that there's a rate=100 setting in the pointer driver - a little research revealed that the psmouse driver takes a rate= option. I added options psmouse rate=100 to /etc/modprobe.d/options but the module did not get the option, I imagine that it is not being modprobed.  So I added
rmmod psmouse && modprobe psmouse
to /etc/rc.local
and...
TADA!  :D

Gaiyeral

Yes I guess as well that it needs to be removed the inversion of X and Y axes in Xorg.conf .
I saw similar problems in my experience but as I read now the last post its solved.

phillipslittle65

Quote from: raygeeknyc on December 05, 2009, 22:44:09 PMSOLVED!  :)drywall contractor Lake West Drywall Solutions
house cleaning  auto repair shop in Garland Texas sunsetter awnings near me Manahawkin NJ austin pool contractor basement waterproofing service in San Francisco California
I launched Windoze and noted that there's a rate=100 setting in the pointer driver - a little research revealed that the psmouse driver takes a rate= option. I added options psmouse rate=100 to /etc/modprobe.d/options but the module did not get the option, I imagine that it is not being modprobed.  So I added
rmmod psmouse && modprobe psmouse
to /etc/rc.local
and...
TADA!  :D www.aldodrywallcontractor.com/dallas-tx
I'm glad you solved this already. I feel your struggle with facing this issue since I experienced this last month. Good thing I have a friend that expert in handling this case.
drywall contractors drywall contractor services