Dyn-dns-settings

Started by fernand, September 08, 2014, 08:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fernand

Helo everybody,
please I want to get an answer at a question that I didn't get on other forums. I know that this one doesn't belong in this forum but I try it nevertheless.
My question is I want to access to my musicserver from the Internet and I want to setup the dyndns-configuration on my router or access-point. My network is built in following manner the router that is a Zyxel make the connection to the internet. An access-point (TP-Link) is attached to this router (Zyxel) The issue is that in the dyndns-settings of my Zyxel there are only one dns-provider, and I can't choose another one. It is the www.dyn.dns.org provider but this one isn't free anymore that means you must pay 25 Euro/year to benefit it, but I don't want give money for this service because I don't use the musicserver every day but only perhaps ten times in a year. On the other side in the dyn-dns-settings in my access-point (TP-Link) I can choose beetween three dns-providers, a chinese provider, and no-ip and the last one is for free, but I am not sure if I can put the dyn-dns settings here because the access-point don't make connection with the internet, it get the signal from the Zyxel-router. Can anybody help me to solve this issue I were very happy about.
Greetings.
Fernand               

vesalocal

Did you update your firmware?  Maybe Zyxel offers different settings, since DynDNS is no longer free.
Ask Zyxel to remove DynDNS and add more free providers and generate a new firmware image. 

Or consider running a free linux on your router (http://wiki.openwrt.org).  Then you can configure your router to connect to No-Ip.

BTW: you can update your dynamic DNS entry from every computer behind your router.  Simply install the update-tool of your choice...

Best wishes

fernand

Hi,

I've contacted Studerus a.g. this firm represented among other also Zyxel. They told me there is no newer firmware
for Zyxel. They also told me that most of the new routers after 2 years it didn't exist a new firmware anymore.

They told me either you pay for a new router or you pay for the dyndns service. Two years ago I've contacted Zyxel
to send me an instruction for use but they never respond me.

So really I dare not to set up a new operating system for the modem because I've never done this before.
Actually I need a step by step guide to do not make a mistake.

Greetings
Fernand   

vesalocal

Seems you live in the french speaking part of Switzerland.  Germany here.

As far as I understand, you want to update your DNS entry with the dynamically assigned IP of your DSL network.  So you can reach your music server via host-/domainname from outside.

This can be done from every computer behind your router and so it should be possible from your access point too.
As long as you don't try, we'll never know :-)

Install one of the update tools (I use inadyn - linux here) on your music server or any other computer of your network and thats it...

Good luck!

fernand

Hello,
I wrote to Zyxel immediately and ask them to remove DynDns and add more free providers in their
firmware but  they answered :  We've report this to Product Managment, but actually thereĀ“s no plan to change this. Has anybody another idea to solve this problem.

Many thanks

Greetings

Fernand

fernand

Hello vesalocal,

finally I've decided to install inadyn as update-tool on my debian os. But can you explain me please after installing the update-tool
how to configure the update-tool file inadyn so that the Ip will be updated. Or isn't it necessary to install anything and the tool works
immediately after downloaded. Thank you for your help.

Greetings Fernand 

fernand

Hi,
now I've updated my firmware to a latest version.
But I see that Zyxel no offers different settings, since DynDNS is no longer free.
Zyxel answered literally:The DDNS can be modified to Custom DNS, so you may enter your own DDNS provider.
But when I am in the dns-settings of my router there is no space to put the url from the free dns-provider. Can anybody show me a step by step guide where you have to do exactly the settings.
I've looked everywhere but I have never found anything. I would be very grateful.

Greetings Fernand   

vesalocal

Quotefinally I've decided to install inadyn as update-tool on my debian os. But can you explain me please after installing the update-tool
how to configure the update-tool file inadyn so that the Ip will be updated. Or isn't it necessary to install anything and the tool works
immediately after downloaded. Thank you for your help.

I did a quick search and found  http://inatech.eu/inadyn/readme.html
The section "Configuration file" explains the /etc/inadyn.conf file and gives an example.

Sorry, I can't help configuring your Zyxel router.  I don't have one...

Best wishes!

fernand

hi,

thxs for you url I read a bit about ADYN and if I've correctly understood you must first create an account to a free DNS-provider
then only download the adyn-file is this correct?
and finally, you have to make the configuration and adjust these according to the selected free dns-provider.

Greetings Fernand