Re-installing WinXp on an old Acer 1681

Started by the_outsider, October 22, 2009, 15:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_outsider

Hello :)

I want to re-install WinXP on an old Acer Aspire 1681, but the problem is that the dvd tray is really gone for good (won't read anything) and any USB startup seems not to be allowed.

So, I was thinking about installing Plop in order to allow the boot from USB; then, using Plop to re-install WinXP via USB bootable flash-drive. But, correct me if I'm wrong, when I format the laptop hd, the capability to boot from USB will be gone, so I'm quite stuck and don't know what to do.

So, anyone could please give me a hint?

thank you :)

Elmar

hi,
if you install the boot manager with the install program, then the boot manager is still available if you format the whole harddisk.

do you have a plan how to install winxp from usb?

you should also test usb boot before you format the harddisk ;)

regards
elmar

the_outsider

you've just given me a great news!!!  ;D

I haven't planned yet how to install winxp from USB, but I've been googlin' around and I found a way to make a bootable USB flash drive starting from a winxp dvd, so I'm eager to try it!

thank you so much, elmar!

Elmar

my way would be to install winxp from dos
see here http://forum.plop.at/index.php/topic,24.0.html
but this has to be updated and changed from freedos to ms-dos

regards
elmar

the_outsider

uhmm I've read the thread and I'm sorry to say that it's not very clear to me  :-\

Anyway, I'll start telling you the hardware and software I have and where I'm getting lost.

What I have:
- 1 USB pen drive: FAT32-formatted, 2GB
- 1 WinXp cd
- 1 Acer 1682 laptop: FAT32-formatted, WinXp (and a lot of garbage) installed

What I'd like to have
- Acer 1682 laptop NTFS formatted with a WinXP clean install.

If I understood the other thread, in order to successfully install WinXP I need to:

1) Install Plop onto laptop hard disk drive
2) Make my USB pen-drive:
    2a- A bootable pen-drive
    2b- A Win XP bootable pen-drive
3) Install WinXp from the USB onto the laptop hd

Step 1 is piece of cake :D, and I've found a complete guide for step 2a and 2b; so, I'm working on it! :).

I'll keep you posted :)

thank you :)

Elmar