Where is PLoP bootmanager installed?

Started by bront, November 15, 2009, 10:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bront

Hi,

where is the bootmanager installed when using harddisk installation? Within the MBR - that's clear. But where are the other parts? In the free space between MBR and first partition or somewhere else?

Second question: If more than one harddisk is in the system, is it possible to specify which one is used for PLoP installation?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards
bront

Elmar

hi,

Quote from: bront on November 15, 2009, 10:10:59 AM
where is the bootmanager installed when using harddisk installation? Within the MBR - that's clear. But where are the other parts? In the free space between MBR and first partition or somewhere else?

the mbr and the sectors 3-63 are used for the boot manager

Quote from: bront on November 15, 2009, 10:10:59 AM
Second question: If more than one harddisk is in the system, is it possible to specify which one is used for PLoP installation?

always the first harddisk is used. it would be possible to change this, but i dont know if this feature is really required.

regards
elmar

bront

Hi,

thanks for your response.

Quotethe mbr and the sectors 3-63 are used for the boot manager

OK, great - so there is no problem with encrypted partitions.

Quotealways the first harddisk is used. it would be possible to change this, but i dont know if this feature is really required.

No, it isn't REALLY required. The reason for this question was, that I have an IDE and a SATA disk installed and normally booting from the SATA disk. But within Windows or if booted from floppy / CD or something else, the IDE disk is the always the first. So there would be a little problem to get the boot manager to the SATA disk. OK, it's easy to solve - I can temporarly disable the IDE disk or do some drive mapping with GRUB.

Was only a question whether I've ignored an obvious way.  ;)

Regards
bront

Elmar

the safest way will be to disable ide.

ploplinux has the tools plpgrabbt and plpwritebt to copy an installed boot manager with its data to another harddisk without changing the partition data of the destination drive (warning, the profiles should use 'dont touch' for the partitions).

regards
elmar

Elmar

hi,
i updated the installer. now its possible to install to other harddisks than the first one.

regards
elmar