Booting from USB CD\DVD?

Started by Agent24, November 16, 2009, 03:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent24

I just came across your program - very cool!

I especially like the menu design, looks like spaceship ;D

I was trying to use it to boot Server 2008 from a DVD over USB, but after failing several times I read the FAQ and saw that you don't support it.

I was wondering if you ever were going to?

I have installed Vista through the same USB DVD drive on a PC with BIOS support so I know it's possible

bront

Hi,

it's a difference whether the BIOS supports USB CD/DVD drives or not.

If there is support for booting USB CD/DVD drives in the BIOS, the BIOS emulates it as a normal CD/DVD drive. So from boot managers point of view it is like booting from a normal CD/DVD and there is no problem.

But if there is no support in the BIOS, the USB driver of the boot manager needs to do that emulation itself. This isn't currently implemented. But if you look at the status page you will find the following:

QuoteSat 07/Nov/2009

Today, I played around with the USB CDROM driver. Mostly it works and then it stopped working. I dont know why and how fast I can fix it.

So maybe in future releases there will be support for USB CD/DVD drives even if the BIOS doesn't support it.

Regards
bront

Elmar

hi,
its still under development.

best regards
elmar

Blumentopf99

I have the same problem, my internal CD drive died so I tried to use your boot manager to boot from my external drive. It recognized the drive by name but didn't boot from it. If this would be possible then the external drive would be a full replacement for the internal drive.

Joseph A

Quote from: Elmar on November 16, 2009, 09:18:11 AM
hi,
its still under development.

best regards
elmar

Any news on USB-CD/DVD deployment?

Elmar

no, i am busy with a big project at the moment.

regards
elmar