Bootloader hangs after finding Cruzer USB stick

Started by khogg, November 19, 2009, 01:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khogg

I have the usual setup: Laptop w broken CD drive, leaving: floppy + USB 1.

I made a WinXP installer usb stick using WinToFlash, booted the PLoP floppy, chose USB, PLoP found my stick, went back to command line w ........ and does nothing afterwards.

To check whether the usb was configured right I tried it on a newer desktop, booting straight to usb and it went right into the installer menu.  On the same desktop, using the PLoP floppy resulted in the same lack of booting as on the laptop.

The issue could be the way http://wintoflash.com/home/en/ configures the stick's bootsector and PLoP can't boot that, otherwise I'm at a loss since the stick boots fine on a newer motherboard.  Any advice on how to get this combination of PLoP floppy and WinXP installer Cruzer Micro 2G stick booting is greatly appreciated.

PS: I have Puppy Linux running on the laptop now which i succesfully installed in a similar manner.  Could I use grub to boot the same flash drive w any more luck?

Elmar

hi,
i will test wintoflash and give you a feedback

if you press "ctrl shift u" in the main menu, what do you see at the window while it waits for a keypress?

regards
elmar

gzk101

me too,when i use plpbt.bin boot from grub on usb stick ,it hangs.

when i press CTRL+SHIFT+U, the follow picture marked by red turn to zero .

Elmar

gzk101, i really dont know what you are going to tell me with this photos. who makes this output, a debugger?

Elmar

@khogg
i tried wintoflash and it does not work here too. my boot manager is not compatible with wintoflash

regards
elmar

gzk101

This is the User feedback,when he boot from plpbt.bin by grub,and then choose USB,it hangs,and show above message.
the command is:

kernel (hd0,0)/plpbt.bin

Elmar

my boot manager is not able to make such an output and without knowing more this photos are not helping in any way

gzk101

well it may be showed by grub, not sure.
now how can i test it ,boot it from the windows boot menu ?

khogg

Thanks Elmar.  I figured that was a possibility.  I'm trying to install right off the hard drive next.  Now I can't get it to boot straight into the windows partition (with i386) from grub in the middle of the install.  That, however is a different problem.