SOLVED in isolinux on "linuxmint 8rc remastersys" vmwareplayer3 instantreboot

Started by walterav, November 24, 2009, 14:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterav

Update: Just rename plpbt.bin to plpbt and use the kernel boot parameter in isolinux.cfg

Hi,

I tried plpbt.iso and plpbtnoemul.iso from the 5.0.4 version and the iso file boots perfectly in vmware player 3 guest, in a linuxmint8 rc host.

When I make my own remastersys'ed' "customized" distribution:
I put the folder contents from the original linuxmint8rc /isolinux/ folder into /home/remastersys/remastersys/ISOTMP/isolinux/
I also copy plpbt.bin into that folder.
Than I edit the isolinux.cfg and add the boot parameters for the plopbootmanager.
Than I remastersys a new iso file.

Than I boot that iso file in vmwareplayer3.
When I use 'linux' instead of 'kernel' in the isolinux.cfg it just loops back the the isolinux menu screen.
When I use 'kernel' it reboots the virtualmachine and it won't start the plopbootmanager.

Is it a virtual machine issue that plpbt.bin cannot be loaded because of isolinux is already booted? I'' burn a RW disc to see if my own system also has the problem!

walterav

Quote from: walterav on November 24, 2009, 14:53:09 PM
I'' burn a RW disc to see if my own system also has the problem!

It also doesn't work on native "real" hardware. The isolinux version is 3.36.
Any idea's to add this great bootmanager to the bootmenu of a customized livecd/distro?

ps:
I can make it automatically install into grub2 after install from the customized livecd, but I would really like to add it as a option to the livecd bootmenu so you can directly boot from usb instead of installing my customized os first.

Elmar

hi,
i use isolinux 3.73 and it works without problems.

you can see it with the plop linux livecd http://www.plop.at/en/ploplinuxdl.html

best regards
elmar

walterav

I'll look into replacing the isolinux to a higher version on the customized distro.

might need to compile my own version with gfxboot patch...

Elmar

i remembered, on earlier isolinux version, you have to rename the boot manager file "plpbt.bin" to "plpbt" and use "kernel plpbt"

regards
elmar

walterav

Quote from: walterav on November 24, 2009, 16:36:13 PM
I'll look into replacing the isolinux to a higher version on the customized distro.

might need to compile my own version with gfxboot patch...

Was not able to find the gfxboot patches for isolinux, and was not able to compile the 3.83 version of isolinux.

I replaced with your isolinux.bin version 3.73 and it works.

Quotei remembered, on earlier isolinux version, you have to rename the boot manager file "plpbt.bin" to "plpbt" and use "kernel plpbt"

I'll try one more time with the older/distro own isolinux and remove the .bin

Something in me says that I would like to keep the graphical menu, but I also noticed that without the graphical menu isolinux boots on more pc's...

Elmar

my remember was not fully correct. i used "kernel" because i didnt know the "linux" parameter.

gfxboot patch? you mean isolinux and splash screen? you dont have to patch isolinux for a splash screen.

walterav

Quote from: Elmar on November 24, 2009, 21:28:58 PM
my remember was not fully correct. i used "kernel" because i didnt know the "linux" parameter.

It works! Just renamed to plpbt.bin to plpbt and using kernel as boot parameter! Thank you.

Quote from: Elmar on November 24, 2009, 21:28:58 PM
gfxboot patch? you mean isolinux and splash screen? you dont have to patch isolinux for a splash screen.

Than I'd mistaken the naming so I can still use a graphic menu for isolinux? I'd rather have selectionbox with up and down arrows, without a splash screen background than typing text.