Main Menu

PLoP Linux x64?

Started by dvolgyes, September 10, 2009, 16:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvolgyes

Hi,

I would like to use this distro sometimes to boot a crashed system and after some steps (fsck, ...) I'd like to chroot to my system which is a 64bit linux. Of course, I cannot use my old binary programs (i.e. update-grub, ...) because plop is 32bit and my system is 64bit.
Will you publish 64bit editions (live,pxe,...)? It would be great.

Elmar

hi
till now i didnt think about a x64 version. but you are right, for chroot it would be good to have a x64 version. i think when i have time, i make a x64 version.

regards
elmar

malibu

PLoP Linux CD iso (60.9 MB) has worked great for me - in 32 bit -
easy to circumvent a password protected BIOS boot sequence on my university computers
and then boot and use a Fedora 11 Live USB.  How great !

By this post, I now really wonder if my problem in rescue of a Sharp AL27 laptop is the MobileAMD 64 chip -
although it was always "set up" to act as 32 bit, and which I always considered it.

That may be my problem . . .

Thanks to this further insight into my "rescue mission" to boot through a Mobile AMD 64.
Any suggestions anybuddy?

Here is the successful screenshots using the CD iso to boot up 32 bit,
but I now I realize I'll probably need to figure out some other fix for the Sharp laptop.

Elmar

hi,
i don't understand the problem. however, it does not matter if its a 32 or 64 bit processor. 64 bit processors are fully compatible to 32 bit processors.

regards
elmar

malibu

Quote from: Elmar on September 10, 2009, 16:29:23 PM

. . .till now i didnt think about a x64 version. but you are right,
for chroot it would be good to have a x64 version. i think when i have time, i make a x64 version.

You certainly know more than I - so I will certainly take your word for it.

However, from the Fedora 11 download at :

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/download-fedora-11-cd-dvd-iso.html

I have found  both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

■Download from Fedora Gnome 32 bit Live CD (700M)
■Download from Fedora Gnome 64 bit Live CD (700M)

The iso files are Fedora-11-i686-Live.iso (688 MB) vs. Fedora-11-x86_64-Live.iso (690 MB).

Could it be that some 64 bit CPU just won't be able to boot up - for some driver reason (?) or whatever -
unless the bootable media - CD iso or USB - is specifically for 64 bit ? In some it may not matter, but in others it may be important ?

Thanks alot for all your help with PLoP Linux and this forum.  Cheers.

Elmar

Quote from: malibu on December 28, 2009, 16:43:00 PM
Could it be that some 64 bit CPU just won't be able to boot up - for some driver reason (?) or whatever -
unless the bootable media - CD iso or USB - is specifically for 64 bit ? In some it may not matter, but in others it may be important ?

no, 64bit cpu's don't request 64bit systems. but if you use a 32bit system you can access only max. 4gig ram and no 64bit processor commands are used.

the other side, 64bit systems won't run on 32bit processors.

however, now i restarted to make the 64bit ploplinux

regards
elmar

malibu

Quote from: Elmar on December 28, 2009, 16:57:46 PM
no, 64bit cpu's don't request 64bit systems. . . .

That makes good sense . . .
but some sites still advertise you can't use 32 bit versions for a 64 bit CPU, such as at :

http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html
Note !!! This version works only on 32 bit systems !!!
See technical info on 64 bit compilation.

You can mount a floppy image file as a virtual floppy drive and directly access the contents -- view, edit, rename, delete or create files on a virtual floppy, format a virtual floppy, launch a program on a virtual floppy... almost anything you can do with a real floppy.

I realize this software emulator is not exactly the same as a bootable 32 bit v. 64 bit -
but these are the kinds of things that give a newbie like myself that idea.

So anyway, for reasons not related to the PLoP Linux CD iso,
my Mobile AMD 64 laptop cpu just won't boot - from hard drive or CDROM (it is a DVD R/RW drive, boot sequence set for CDROM boot) -
either with the Fedora-11-i686-Live iso -or - your ploplinux CD iso (which works everywhere else just fine!) .

Maybe I need to modify the PLoP Linux for a CD driver ?

I am gonna spend a bunch of time on your ploplinux site at:
http://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux.html
as I learn about trying a point-to-point connection LAN boot,
as there could be something with the CD/DVD drive.

Learning to LAN boot with PLoP Linux would be really valuable to know!

Once I can get ploplinux to boot up - PXE network or CD - I realize I could then do about anything -
as it is really great software.

Thanks.

Elmar

Quote from: malibu on December 28, 2009, 17:29:14 PM
Note !!! This version works only on 32 bit systems !!!
See technical info on 64 bit compilation.

they are meaning its working only with a 32bit operating system but this is not limited to 32bit processors. you can run a 32bit operating system on a 64bit processor and the driver will work. but the driver will not work with a 64bit operating system, because its compiled as a 32bit driver. on a 64bit processor with a 64bit operating system its possible that the driver must run or access ram over the 4gig boundary. the 32bit driver is not able to do that, so it will not work. it does not matter if the pc has more or less 4 gig ram. it won't work.

Quote from: malibu on December 28, 2009, 17:29:14 PM
So anyway, for reasons not related to the PLoP Linux CD iso,
my Mobile AMD 64 laptop cpu just won't boot - from hard drive or CDROM (it is a DVD R/RW drive, boot sequence set for CDROM boot) -
either with the Fedora-11-i686-Live iso -or - your ploplinux CD iso (which works everywhere else just fine!) .

what do you see on the screen when plop linux hangs?

malibu

Quote from: Elmar on December 28, 2009, 17:44:36 PM
. . .
what do you see on the screen when plop linux hangs?
only the black screen with the blinking white cursor in upper left.

either hard drive (with no CD in) or CDROM boot tried with Fedora 11 iso or ploplinux iso -
or, after I exit the BIOS set up, as well.

Elmar

does anything boot on the pc?

malibu

Quote from: Elmar on December 28, 2009, 18:36:48 PM
does anything boot on the pc?

(away at lunch, and stopped at university bookstore to get a couple new CD R/W to work with)

No, nothing that I have tried yet.
(it was probably/certainly a system file that was deleted and sits in the Window XP Recycler).

I will be trying new bootable CDs - maybe DOS 6.22 but I am at a Windows Vista on campus now without admin privileges so I am limited some.
I'll try plop bootmanager by itself too,
but so far only the ploplinux and the fedora 11 32 bit have been tried -
won't boot from hard drive of course either.

All ways tried, just get flashing cursor.

Elmar

are you sure that the cdrom is the first device in the bios bootup sequence?

malibu

Quote from: Elmar on December 28, 2009, 20:11:50 PM
are you sure that the cdrom is the first device in the bios bootup sequence?
Yes CD-ROM drive is first, hard disk second (floppy disk drive is third in bios but there is no floppy in the pc laptop)
I have also tried it listing CDROM as first, seecond, and third in bios boot sequence, so it'll keep trying it.
Four USB ports are available if I could get even get bootmanager or full ploplinux up -
as the USB optical mouse was removed to only use the laptop touchpad - and to save USB resources.

No USB (direct) BIOS support, but with either LAN boot enabled or disabled, it never shows up in boot sequence section of bios setup - it is it's own bios drop down menu.

Elmar

hi,
today i released a 64bit version of PLoP Linux. now its possible to make a chroot to a 64bit linux and run programs there. the 64bit PLoP Linux has 32bit emulation activated, so all plop linux programs are the same as in the 32bit version.

http://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux.html#x64
http://www.plop.at/en/ploplinuxdl.html

regards
elmar