slackware 13.1 flybook touch screen

Started by zuliani71, March 07, 2011, 00:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zuliani71

Hi,
I've just installed Slackware 13.1 on my flybook V33i. Most of the hardware has been recognized and now I'd like to use the touchscreen. I've compiled and loaded the touchscreen module penmountlpc 1.1. I've also downloaded xf86-input-plpevtouch-0.5.0 and installed with the command:
./configure --prefix=/usr/X11R6 && make && make install (I've X11R6 and not X11R7).

After that, as slackware use HAL to config X11 and doesn't use a xorg.conf as default, I've started xorgsetup to create a good xorg.conf for my laptop. startx, with that new xorg.conf, gives me a stable and well configured machine (both for video, mouse and keyboard). Adding the Section "InputDevice" and the Section "ServerLayout" suggest at: http://www.plop.at/en/touchscreen.html
gives me a working desktop but mouse and keyboard don't work. Even the pen on the screen has no effects. On the web I've found another config to use inside xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "touchscreen"
        Driver "plpevtch"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/event7"
        Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
        #Option "MinX" "47"
        #Option "MinY" "49"
        #Option "MaxX" "982"
        #Option "MaxY" "981"
        Option "Calibrate"
        Option "Debug"
        Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
        Option "Emulate3Buttons"
        Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
        Option "SendCoreEvents"
        Option "MoveLimit"  "2"
EndSection

and for the "ServerLayout" I've used:
     InputDevice        "touchscreen" "SendCoreEvents"

With that config I've the same results (mouse and keyboard don't work) but the pen is alive. It's not calibrated but when I touch the screen the cursor moves in a new position (no tracking anyway). Can you help me?

Thanks in advance

David

Elmar

hi,
don't use plpevtch. the default xorg evdev driver should work fine. calibrate with http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xinput_calibrator (thanks to manuel u.)

regads
elmar

zuliani71

Quote from: Elmar on March 07, 2011, 08:52:02 AM
hi,
don't use plpevtch. the default xorg evdev driver should work fine. calibrate with http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xinput_calibrator (thanks to manuel u.)

regads
elmar

Hi Elmar, thanks for answering me.
I've downloaded and untar the xinput_calibrator, I run ./autogen.sh and make, it seems there are no problems with that.
When I run the xinput_calibrator I get "No calibratable devices found" What to do?
I've tried with and without xorg.conf (if I remove xorg.conf slackware uses HAL).
When I use the xorg.conf I change the line

Driver "plpevtch"

into

Driver "evdev"

Both tests gave me the same result.
Bye
David

zuliani71

Quote from: zuliani71 on March 07, 2011, 15:40:18 PM
Quote from: Elmar on March 07, 2011, 08:52:02 AM
hi,

regads
elmar

Hi Elmar, thanks for answering me.
I've downloaded and untar the xinput_calibrator, I run ./autogen.sh and make, it seems there are no problems with that.
When I run the xinput_calibrator I get "No calibratable devices found" What to do?
I've tried with and without xorg.conf (if I remove xorg.conf slackware uses HAL).
When I use the xorg.conf I change the line

Driver "plpevtch"

into

Driver "evdev"

Both tests gave me the same result.
Bye
David

Hi Helmar do you have any suggestion for me.

Thanks

David

Elmar

currently not. i dont use hal

regards
emar

zuliani71

Ok, what about the error:
"Error: No calibratable devices found." ??? Any ideas?

Max

Quote from: zuliani71 on March 10, 2011, 21:49:31 PM
Ok, what about the error:
"Error: No calibratable devices found." ??? Any ideas?

First: even if not calibrated, the touchscreen should respond to the input in some way. Do you see any notification on the output of dmesg?

Are you sure the kernel module is loaded?

zuliani71

Hi Helmar,

after a more careful check at dmesg I've found the right penmountlpc entry;
PenmountLPC TouchScreen as /devices/virtual/input/input8

I've changed the lines inside my xorg.conf like this:
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/event8"
and after that I was able to use the xinput_calibrator.

I've 2 more questions
a) which the best starting script/place to put the xinput command with configs coming from xinput_ccalibrator?

b) now I'm trying the pen and, after using a manual xinput run from the shell, the cursor goes under the tip after I touch the screen, Anyway I'm not able to slide the cursor together with the tip (just tapping the screen works). Can you suggest me something?

Elmar

hi,

disable xorg start
unload penmounlpc
use "modprobe penmoutlpc debug=1"
tab the four screen corners
run "dmesg > dmesg.txt"
and post the dmesg.txt

zuliani71

Elmar

i am no slackware user but try "init 3"

zuliani71

Ok Elmar so I need to work in a so called "TEXT MODE", I think it's the same to press CTRL-ALT-BACK SPACE, Is it right?

Elmar

zuliani71

Ok Elmar, this is my sequence
a) disabled xorg (I worked in terminal or text mode, no graphic)
b) from the console I've unloaded penmounlpc: rmmod penmountlpc
c) Then I've reloaded penmount as you told me:  modprobe penmoutlpc debug=1
    unfortunately that command doesn't work, it gave me: FATAL: Error inserting penmountlpc (/lib/modules/2.6.33.4-smp/extra/penmountlpc.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
d) I've tried the commnad modprobe penmountlpc `debug=1` and I've had no more error messages (so I think it has been loaded corrrectly)
e) I've tapped the 4 corners of the display with the pen (the display reacts to the tapping)
f) I run "dmesg > dmesg.txt" and the dmesg output is here attached

I've two questions
1) why the "modprobe penmoutlpc debug=1" doesn't work? I've used a differenet one
Is it correct the comand "modprobe penmountlpc `debug=1`"

Elmar

Quote from: zuliani71 on March 12, 2011, 10:03:20 AM
c) Then I've reloaded penmount as you told me:  modprobe penmoutlpc debug=1
    unfortunately that command doesn't work, it gave me: FATAL: Error inserting penmountlpc (/lib/modules/2.6.33.4-smp/extra/penmountlpc.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

i forgot the "n" in penmountlpc

Is it correct the comand "modprobe penmountlpc `debug=1`"

yes, its correct

which version of penmountlpc do you use?

zuliani71

Elmar

I know you forgot the n in your command so I've corrected it but anyway if I use:
modprobe penmoutlpc debug=1 it doesn't work.
At the end the right command is: modprobe penmountlpc `debug=1`

did you take a look at my dmesg.txt?

Elmar

currently i cannot test the penmountlpc driver on my flybook, but the ' should be not required for the parameter.

i looked at the dmesg.txt but i saw no debug info. which penmountlpc version do you use?

zuliani71

Elmar

zuliani71

Ok, downlaode and installed, now the dmesg can track the debugging. Attached yoy can find the new dmesg.txt

zuliani71

Quote from: zuliani71 on March 12, 2011, 14:37:17 PM
Ok, downlaode and installed, now the dmesg can track the debugging. Attached yoy can find the new dmesg.txt

Hi Elmar did you take a look at my log?

Bye

David

Elmar

yes

the driver reads the data from the touchscreen, but there is a problem with the event handler. currently i cannot say more. i have to do some tests, but i have no time now.

regards
elmar

zuliani71

Elmar

may be it's the evdev that isn't working properly. I've used plpevtch as I told you but the keyboard and the mouse don't work with that.

David

Elmar

hmm, yes, maybe its a problem with evdev. maybe my plpevtch is the solution, but  i had no time to fix the conflict with the keyboard and mouse.

i have to install the environment you use to find a solution, but bug searching is time expensive

zuliani71

Ok, may be we can work together. I've the system up and running and you could direct me. It'll be a slow process but it's better than nothing.