Main Menu

Few questions...

Started by aurel, March 10, 2010, 11:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aurel

Hi all...
I have few questions about PLOP linux.
I see that PLOP use gnome and i need to know
how much space i need on hard drive to install PLOP.
I have in plan install PLOP on one old computer with 265mbram
1 Ghz, and only 2GB hard space .
Is it posibile install PLOP on such a small space.
I'm not sure is live cd have installer ?

Thanks advance
Aurel

Elmar

hi,
i made a small installer long time ago. "installplop"
its not so comfortable  but it works. i tested it quickly, but you have to do some things after the installation. the installer was made for older ploplinux versions. but its not difficult to make the changes.

the installation with gnome needs 2,2gig. thats a bit more than you have. the alternative is to install plop to the harddisk with the sqfs files. then you need only about 550mb. but you have to do all by hand. but its not difficult. i help you if you want.

did you test gnome with the live cd? are 256mb ram enough for gnome to run fine?

regards
elmar

aurel

hi Elmar...
I didnt download it yet...
I do not know that Gnome need like you say 2.2gb ???
What is squash is this something like Slax use.
And what kind of Window manager i will have after i use
sqfs?
I'm not used very well with consoles.
Is there any other window menager for future releases
- i mean something smaller?

Elmar

Quote from: aurel on March 10, 2010, 13:44:02 PM
I didnt download it yet...

try it first. maybe you don't like plop linux

I do not know that Gnome need like you say 2.2gb ???

gnome is a desktop environment that provides a lot of libraries, a lot of functions and many other stuff

What is squash is this something like Slax use.

sqfs is a compressed read only file system. it can be used for many things. many distros use it for live cd's.

And what kind of Window manager i will have after i use sqfs?

you will have the same system like on the cd. the big purpose of sqfs is that its a file system that is compressed. you can access the files in the same way like on a ext3 file system. but its read only. but that doesn't matter. you can write data to the hard disk even if you use the sqfs version of plop linux.

I'm not used very well with consoles.

hmmm

Is there any other window menager for future releases
- i mean something smaller?

gnome is not a window manager. there is a big difference between a desktop environment and a window manager. a window manager is a program that runs in a desktop environment and handles the windows layout, windows borders and all that suff. but a window manager does not need a desktop environment. the window manager of gnome is metacity. plop linux has also the light weight window manager fluxbox included. fluxbox does not need a desktop environment. but if you want to use programs from gnome, then you still need the gnome libraries.

i don't know what you want to do with your machine and what programs you want to use.

regards
elmar

aurel

Thanks on reply...
OK i will try it first

aurel