I have several unrelated questions...

Started by Drew Barfield, February 22, 2010, 01:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Barfield

Hello Everyone,

I've had PLoP Linux on a 256MB Cruzer Mini for a couple of weeks now. I'm trying to use it to automagically
fix distraught Windows computers infected with this or that 'virus of the moment'. A couple of things are
hindering development. Most importantly is that I don't own a Windows machine (I use Ubuntu). So:

• Can PLoP be booted inside Ubuntu? That way I can have a Web browser open while tinkering.
  • Is there any way to get PLoP to recognize wireless adapters? I use a laptop primarily for testing and can't use avast-update without a connection.
  • Is there documentation on the exact sequence of events that occur when PLoP boots?
  • Where should I mount (ntfs-3g) a NTFS volume? I've been using /media/hdd1, any reason I shouldn't?
  • Is there a script that will iterate all drives and mount them (with respect to their file system type)?

Thank You!
Drew

Elmar

hi,

Quote from: Drew Barfield on February 22, 2010, 01:53:22 AM
  • Can PLoP be booted inside Ubuntu? That way I can have a Web browser open while tinkering.

yes, with qemu. its an open source virtual machine.
http://wiki.qemu.org/

• Is there any way to get PLoP to recognize wireless adapters? I use a laptop primarily for testing and can't use avast-update without a connection.

yes, the wireless tools are included. network cards that are not included in the linux kernel can be used with their windows drivers and ndiswrapper. but you need some experience with setup wireess by hand. there are no scripts that makes your life easier. i didn't try it for a long time, but its not too difficult.

about avast: copy the latest avast definition file to the pluspacks directory, then you don't have to run avast-update every time for testing.

• Is there documentation on the exact sequence of events that occur when PLoP boots?

you can see the exact sequence in the files
/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc.S - this is the primary system init
(/media)/ploplinux/myscripts/runme.sh - this loads daemons, and is used for the users to add their own stuff for bootup

do you need more infos?

• Where should I mount (ntfs-3g) a NTFS volume? I've been using /media/hdd1, any reason I shouldn't?

why don't you mount it to /mnt? /media is primary used for the boot device in plop linux. it can be read only if you boot from cd. so if you want that it works from usb and cd then you should choose something outside /media

• Is there a script that will iterate all drives and mount them (with respect to their file system type)?

script no, file system auto detect yes
if you have a script, you can copy it to ploplinux/myscripts. however, such a script is written quickly. ploplinux does auto detect the file system. the only (small) problem can be the ntfs stuff, because there is the kernel ntfs driver and the ntfs-3g driver. the fastest (but not the smartest) way is to make some "for" loops and mount the device and don't care if it exists or not.

best regarda
elmar

Drew Barfield

Elmar

hi,

i made a script "automount". it available in 4.1.0-rc2

best regards
elmar